gottx

Suggestions

I have to install a DVR on a mobile machine, I have the mobile DVR from March Networks, connected by a GPS modem and receiver, now my problem is to power all of these things. I must record even when the machine is not running, but I can't connect this on the battery of the machine... (will miss some power ) Do you have any suggestion to powerup all of these thing ? Thanks !

Hi gottx,

First things first; perhaps you need to calculate the energy requirements for all the pieces of equipment involved. I'm assuming that the various bits run on 12v DC, so if you can add up the current consumption in amps., and you have an idea as to how long the equipment is required to operate, you can then multiply the figures togethor to arrive at an amp/hr (Ah) figure.

You haven't actually said what type of machine it is, but unless it's large (ish), the best policy is usually to employ energy efficient cells (budget permitting, Lithium Ion etc.) or good old fashioned proven sealed Lead Acid batts.

If possible, try and use a number of smaller batteries (e.g. 4 x 6Ah, rather than 1 x 24Ah), and allow at least 20% above what you need (perhaps more in extreme heat or cold). Using smaller batteries means you can usually distribute the weight more evenly, on the machine. Also use 'in line' connectors for each battery (and colour coding on each set of batteries) so you can then replace all the 'reds' for example, one at a time without any down time.

Solar cells are a viable option in certain circumstances, but could be expensive. You could consider using a combination of batteries and solar, with the panels trickle charging the batts. when the machine is idle.

If the machine is big and fast enough, you could even consider a small wind generator (bit tongue in cheek that one!)

Hope this helps.