Someone10101

Need help with my home security setup

Hello,

I've been doing a lot of research and reading on the forums for the past few days and would appreciate any help, suggestions, advices, etc... anyone can give me regarding what I want to do in the household.

I've just purchased a new home and would like to setup a home surveillance system.

Let me start off with my house configurations first please.

The home is prewire in every bedrooms, family room, den, and loft with the followings:

RG6 Quad Shielding x 2

CAT5 x 1

CAT6E x 1

In other words, every bedrooms, family room, den, and loft in the house has a total of 4 drops; two RG6, 1 CAT5 for telephone, and one CAT6E for gigabit ethernet. The family room actually has three RG6 instead of two RG6.

There are a total of 4 bedrooms(including the Master bedroom) in the house.

In addition to this, all sides of the house are prewire with one siamese cables with the exception of the front, which has two siamese cables(one at the garage and one near the front door).

All windows downstair are pre-wire for home security. A total of three pre-wire locations for motion detectors throughout the entire house. I have no plans on getting any pet animals at all. So there's no concern about false alarms from any pet animals.

Here's what I'm looking to do and want to be able to do with my setup.

1. The ability to monitor all 5 cameras remotely.

2. Four of the five cameras need to be able to resist rain, cold weather(32 degree F), and as high as 110 degree F during the summer days. No snow where I live.

3. The ability to see the person face clear enough, day and night, for the police to prosecute the criminal(s). The facial shot doesn't have to be extremely clear and sharp.

4. Two of the cameras are about ten feet of the ground. Another two are about fourteen feet off the ground. The last camera , at the door, is at five feet.

5. The ability to monitor all 5 cameras at once(split view) from every room in the house using the TV, not the PC.

6. The ability to monitor each cameras individually(full screeen) from every room in the house using the TV, not the PC.

7. Three out of the five cameras, I would like the ability to do PTZ from the house and remotely.

*8. When the camera detect motion at night, the exterior lights turn on automatically where the motion is detected.

9. Record all 5 cameras from the main PC that has the DVR card installed and at the same time, have a hidden PC record all 5 cameras too. This way, should the criminal(s) steal the main PC with the DVR, there would be a backup somewhere else in the house, possiblly in the bathroom, kitchen pantry, fireplace , etc...

*10. When the windows alarm is trigger, all lights downstair(garage, family room, kitchen, den, dining room, bathrooms), upstairs(hallway, loft), frontyard porch light, and backyard flood lights are turned on. Maybe sound a siren to wake everyone up in the house too....don't know yet.

11. Audio/MIC at the front door so when someone approach the front door and I'm monitoring the person, I can talk to them to make it sound like I'm in the house, but in reality, I'm not.

Ex. UPS comes by and ring the door bell, I can say "Leave the package at the door. Thank You!" from a remote location.

NOTE: Item #8 and #10 are not essential, but nice to have if it can be done within budget.

From my reading, it sounds like I'm looking at the GeoVision hardware because of it's capablility to do remote monitoring and PTZ. I'm just not clear on how I would do PTZ with the GeoVision hardware because all I have running to each camera is a siamese cable, and no CAT6E networking cable. In addition, I'm also confuse on how I can view each camera individual or all at once on each TV in each room.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to keep the cost down to $5K excluding the PC. If I can do all the above with $2K, that would be even better.

Thanks!

Someone10101

Hi

First off: 3 PTZs at $1000 dealer price each, thats $3000, and that is on the low end (US).

Second: You can run PTZ on coax no problem.

I would use the same PTZ as the DVR though. In other words, if you buy a Kalatel PTZ, use a Kalatel DVR, etc, makes things simpler. Some DVRs dont have support for other brand DVRs. Geo, Kalatel, Phillips, and other well know DVR brands do have support for most well known PTZ protocols.

All or most DVRs have PTZ and Remote capability. Geovision has it also, with the additional purchase of the receiver from the manufacturer.

As for turning the lights on, the alarm can do that no problem, easy.

Camera Motion detection turning lights on at night, another issue. Motion Detection only works if their is adequate light or if you are using IR to drive cameras in pitch or very low dark light. The alarm can do whatever you want it to do, depending on which system you get; do you have an idea on which system yet?? I have installed/serviced Ademco for past 8 years.

As far as monitor the cameras from the TVs, you can easily, using a RF modulator, but cannot control the PTZ without a keypad from the PTZ manufacturer. Easy though on the cable side, you just use a RF modulator with 1 RG59/6 coax to where the main cable TV comes in, use a filter for the channel line, and you have that line of channels blocked, set a channel to view the cameras on using the mod, you are set to go.

Eg. ChannelVision sells Filters for different channels, for example you can get one that blocks channels 71-74, then using the Modulator device, just set which channel you want to view it on.

Moving on, DVRs or Any CCTV splits the screen in 4, and then goes to 7, 9 etc depending on the device. Certain ones will do say 4, then sequence the last 2 on the bottom right picture. Quad (4 way) without that feature only shows 4. If using cable TV and a mod you will see whatever the CCTV device is set to, eg. quad, 9 way, sequence, etc.

Front Door:Aiphone has good systems for this. Or if you dont want to spend that much, or dont need many stations, you can go cheaper and still get a good product; Provideo has a 2 station system; eg, with 1 camera/audio station (B/W) and up to 2 monitor stations, and can add 1 more camera/audio station, for low cost. Aiphone has the PTZ and color solutions. Samsung has a couple low end ones also, also many more brands, eclipse, etc, low end. Aiphone is a higher end unit, and worth it. But not neccassary for a normal home. I normally sell provideo in low end applications.

You mentioned prewired for windows, do you plan to use contacts or screens, etc?

This is the CCTV forum, but if you like I can help you choose an alarm system.

Rory

It's also not that hard to add PTZ protcalls on the DVR side. Most of them use an ASCII, and most manufacturers will allow companies access to the protcolls. You do run into some odd things from time to time. Katel for instance has an open protcol which then runs to their converter box then to the camera.

Thanks Rory and Thomas!

To answer your questions Rory...I'm still debating and doing more research on contacts and windows screens. I know windows screens would be best, but cost more. Contacts, I would need to be able to detect a window breakage and someone opening the window.

I wouldn't mind working with you on an alarm system, but the thing is, when I choose a home security monitoring service for burglar and fire, the company I choose will, almost always, want to install their own equipments.

The house is in Northen Califonia in the city of Stockton.

Let me do some more research and calling around to find out if I can use my own alarm systems. If they let me, I would rather buy the hardwares myself and install them myself.

Last, is there any way to monitor the channels from each room without using a RF modulator and running more wires; another two wires won't hurt, but if I need to run another two wires to every room, then, that can be a lot of headache because the drywalls are already up. The reason why I prefer not to use a RF modulator is because I don't want other people to see what my cameras are capable of seeing. If the criminals know what my cameras can see, then they know it's weaknesses.

Thanks!

Somone

Hi

Yes, you can run a wire for each TV, just using RCA connectors direct into the TV inputs. you can use telephone 2 pair wire for short runs, or double up for longer, or speaker type wire. Get 1 piece of RCA cable with connectors on, cut it in half, use one on each end of wire, tape or use terminal plugs.

Or just get a long enough lengtht of RCA cable.

Also, yes, Screens would be best, depends on the windows though, what type they are. We have so many different types here in the Bahamas being used. If the screens are on the outside I wouldnt recommend it, they false alot.

Another option would be indoor beams across each window. Optex has a flush or surface mount one. Blinds/curtains sometimes cause issues with these, so depends. You can also use beams outside to cover a whole set of windows and doors. Motions used for back up either way in the main areas. Glasss breaks where glass can be broken to get in. In other words if the window doesnt open at all, then a glass break would work there.

It is pretty easy to install. Though you may want to get a pro in the area to do it for you, to avoid false alarms or imprpoper setup. Wiring is the part I hate!

If you wanted send me a copy of the plans, types of doors and windows, and I can send something back to you. You could go over what you want then take it to them, or buy it yourself and install, depending on what you decide. I would not actually do the alarm for you or sell you anything, just helping out by giving some ideas on parts to buy/use. Alot of companies use Ademco, whether it is First alert, or others with their names on the Ademco products.

Rory