Sign in to follow this  
nate

Indoor/Outdoor System - Veterinary Clinic

Hey all.

I am working to design a system for a decent-sized Emergency Veterinary Clinic. This involves a good amount of low-light outdoor area.

I am trying to decide if I want to go with Color/IR cameras, or straight B/W for outdoor application.

The area around the clinic is not perfectly lit, but I would not call the light 'poor.'

Any recommendations for this kind of low-light job?

-Nate

Hi nate,

At the risk of asking a really stupid question, could you just confirm whether the cameras are required for 'animal welfare' or 'site security', or perhaps a combination of both.

I'd assume it was to keep an eye on the animals, but then I know it's safer never to assume anything in this line of work.

If you are monitoring the animals, what are they, and what size of areas do you need to watch (can the shape of the areas be modified / adapted to accommodate camera angles)?

Also what type of lighting are you working with?

The more information, the better.

Cooper:

Glad you asked - it's actually security. They are staffed during all hours of operation, but they are in a neighborhood that has caused a bit of concern lately.

The only lighting is outdoor is halogen lights attached to the cement walls. No motion detection.

-Nate

Just as well I asked nate, it wasn't such a stupid question after all.

I quite liked your description that 'they are in a neighbourhood that has caused a bit of concern lately'; I suddenly had a mental picture of unsettled cows in a "larson' cartoon.

Anyhow, back to the problem in hand - you need to consider what the perceived risks are if you want to put togethor a really top notch system; having said that, if you simply want to watch areas, that's not a problem.

If your budget will stretch to it, high resolution ( 460 - 520 lines ) Colour / Black and White would probably be ideal. If money's tight, high res. black and white would ensure you've got decent night coverage.

Ideally you will need to consider perhaps three zones; the outer, being the perimeter of the site, the external being the area around the building/s, and the internal, being the areas indoors where their may be risks to assets and personnel. Obviously you'll have to weigh up the risks, and decide what you want to keep an eye on.

If you're not sure about any aspect, you can always post more information and requests, but hopefully others will put forward their suggestions on suitable equipment which is available Stateside.

It might also be worth considering using some basic grade equipment in the animal recovery areas; that covers both the 'animal welfare' and preventing ' 'malpractice suits' as part of the overall scheme. Just a suggestion.