You can, but you don't have to. We often use only one pair of a CAT-5 4-pair for video. Sometimes we use more; it depends on the location of the cameras. If we have multiple cameras using UTP that are close together, we will use multiple pairs - one for each camera.

For video, you can just splice wires together using "beans". You just have to make sure to leave the twists in as much as possible.

How many camera's? Usually use one twisted pair per balun.

The last 3 applications where I used video balluns I did it all within just one cat-5 cable. I ran the entire cable all the way to the end to the last camera and took 2 wires out and ran them to my ballun. Then went back to the 3rd camera and did the same then to the 2nd and finally the 1st. This was a very short run (by short I mean less than 400ft) and it is still functioning properly even after 11months so far.

Goodluck!

Thanks,

John

If i am useing cat 5 Should i be useing all wires for video baluns?

Depends on your application... If you are running this cable to control PTZ dome, then you can use one of the pairs for data, another pair for video, another one for power and extra pair for spare...

If you are running this cable for just a fixed camera, then dependent on your cable runs, it may not be cost effective, as balun costs run an average of $30.00 per pair... and instead, you can use Siamese cable....

ok. also for color camera can it degrade the color if the cat5e run to long? how long can we run cat5E using the ff setup:

1. passive balun tx >>>>> passive balun rx

2. passive balun tx >>>>> active balun rx

3. active balun tx >>>>>> passive balun rx

4. active balun tx >>>>>> active balun tx

tx - transmit

rx - receive

thanks

how long can we run the ptz control (rs-485 ) over cat5E?

4000 ft. max. using RS422/RS485.

also for color camera can it degrade the color if the cat5e run to long? how long can we run cat5E using the ff setup:

1. passive balun tx >>>>> passive balun rx

2. passive balun tx >>>>> active balun rx

3. active balun tx >>>>>> passive balun rx

4. active balun tx >>>>>> active balun tx

I would run passive-passive no more than 700-800 ft., passive-active (either way) no more than 1,500 ft. and active-active no more than 3000 ft. The shorter for each, the better.

have tested it before on 1 roll (305m ) of cat5e. tried to use 1 pair and connect it to the remaining pair on the bundle of wire to make it double, triple its length. but when we test the color picture carrier was attenuated and picture become black and white

If i am useing cat 5 Should i be useing all wires for video baluns?

No just one pair for each camera!

Power you can also do over cat5 or better(more copper for power) cat 6!

I have put two twisted wires pars for power.

80487_1.jpg

balums on pair each

107289_2.jpg

power no balum, but use a pair for + and one pair for -

how long can we run the power in the cat5e before it falls below the operating voltage?

No voltdrops At 15 meters.

At 40 meters i have to put 15 volt in to get 12.5 out. Whit 1 Amp

how long can we run the power in the cat5e before it falls below the operating voltage?

No voltdrops At 15 meters.

At 40 meters i have to put 15 volt in to get 12.5 out. Whit 1 Amp

what is you input voltage 12V or 13.8?

Hi All,

First time on here, I saw a picture from cocacolas post on google images while trying to find out if I can power two cameras with one CAT6 cable.

Basically, only a single cable was put in to a certain location while the floors were up and holes in walls, which was fine to begin with but now I need another camera in that location and running another cable is not an option, so I'm wondering if I can use that single cable for two cameras.

The picture is not completely clear how cocacola wired the cameras and I just want to make sure I do it right.

See image for wiring diagram, do I do option 1 or 2?

Cable is solid core UTP CAT6, no more than 15 meters.

Cameras are 1.3MP AHD Domes.

The connectors are screw on baluns.

Thanks

2069232699_1CAT62Cams.thumb.jpg.e08e1627e9ace6f7ff7d6facf74aab34.jpg

I've had this setup for about a year now and have not had any issues, actually the guy at the shop told me to wire like this.

Wasn't aware of one pair per balun.

It made sense to me a pair per +/-

But as you confirmed how I can have 2 cameras over 1 cable, I will wire as you suggested, which will equate to 1 pair per balun.

Thank you