A 1.2 Ghz at 5 watts, is that going to be enough to cover about a quarter of a mile? They state 3000 to 4000 ft but I'm wondering how true that would be.

A 1.2 Ghz at 5 watts, is that going to be enough to cover about a quarter of a mile? They state 3000 to 4000 ft but I'm wondering how true that would be.

I'm no wireless expert, but I have a few successful 2.4Ghz point-to-point and point-to-multipoint installs out there.

Your success depends on radio line-of-sight and possible interference sources nearby. But I'll tell you what... 1.2Ghz at 5 watts is smokin' hot! I have seen 2.4Ghz links go out 10 miles using 100mW radios. If you are trying to get that signal through a block constructed building you may have problems, but if you are trying to burn though some moderate foliage without other radio interference my guess is it would work. And if you have true radio line-of-sight 5 Watts might be too hot for those distances.

I would be careful. That wattage at those frequencies is probably dangerous. I wouldn't stand if front of the antenna too long.

whatever they state, ignore it, unless you plan on investing alot of time and extra money on the job I gave up on Wireless video a couple years ago. Noone is going to pay me enough to do the work involved to get it done right!

Now if I do, do it, It is definately going to be 5.8ghz. 900-2.4 is out of the question for me. Check out Trango or VideoCom, 2 of the leaders in Long Range Wireless Video in the US & Canada.

In any event, if installing Wireless TXs for Video, you need to get iy up high enough on the TX and RX side, and then there is the interference side of it, Cellphones messed up my video over here, not to mention nearby high voltage transformers on a couple jobs.

Customer asked. Under the circumstances I would use an IP camera but running ethernet or coax out there isn't going to happen. (Golf course).

That's enough power to cook up a few Texas steaks. You shouldn't have any problem as long as you have line of site. The thing you might have a problem with is interference with someone else's system and I don't think you'll have a license for 5 watts.

Not really worried about it, he's in a rural area and it's the center of a golf course. But I did some research on price and passed it along. I think he'll blanche at the price.

2.4 works fine for video, if you get a low noise signal. Also, don't try passing more than 3-4 feeds, there's simply not enough bandwidth available with a 2.4 connection.

Our 5.8 tests show us getting 20-30 megs at 10 miles (avg.) while with 2.4 we were only getting 2-6 megs (avg.). The 2.4 does work welll still, if you setup the MTU correctly, but you have to remember with wireless links, the further you are away from your AP, the greater the latency of your PTZ commands.