loop

Relay triggered video switcher

I'm looking for a 2 channel video switcher that switches between the 2 channels when triggered by its' relay input.

I'm trying to use 5 cameras on a 4 channel video server that has a relay output.

Any help appreciated.

loop,

Any alarm input switcher should do what you want, but you may find it harder to get hold of 2 channel units, rather than the more common 4 channel.

One manufacturer here in the U.K. has a 2 in, or the option of a 4 input at the equiv. of about $5 more.

I would imagine that US sourced gear is probably more readily available where you are. Maybe other guys will have a few suggestions for suitable models.

One other possibility might be a picture in picture (PIP) unit, then you can connect all five at once.

Thanks, but PIP is not an option for me.

As far as regular switchers, they don't seem to have a relay, so I don't see how can I remotely trigger it to switch between channels.

In general, if you choose an 'Alarm' input switcher, the simple principle is that when you ground the corresponding channels alarm input, it will then switch to that channel, and most will stay on that setting until reset or another alarm input is triggered.

So for example, pin 3 (or terminal 3) connected to Gnd. or Common will make the switcher lock on Video In 3.

If the output from your switching device is simple 'dry' relay contacts, that would work fine. If the switching output is for example +12v DC, then you can connect up a small external relay to do the switching for you.

If push comes to shove and you simply can't get hold of an alarm input unit, most standard selector switches can be hard wired across their contacts (16/0.2mm wire for a short distance) to effectively remote that switches function. The conductors can then be 'closed' using a small external relay driven from your trigger device.

The only reason I suggested the possibility of a PIP, is that as well as being able to reverse the insert under external alarm input control (i.e. the small picture becomes full screen or vice versa), if I remember correctly, some PIPs will also allow the inserted picture to be removed under an external alarm command ( so you could have the option of PIP view, or full screen of Main picture, or full screen of Insert picture ). Costs a lot more than a switcher though