Hi,

i need to wire up a certain place for cctv. the distance is around 2000 ft.What sort of wiring should i use? RG 59 or RG 6? what is the max extendable length for both? if both is not supported for such long distance what can i use?

Hi

At that distance, I would use Amplified UTP/CAT5. Coax can go as far as 1200-1800' but at those distances you will loose quality. Amplifiers for coax exist though they only make it clear video to a certain distance, such as 1500ft.

In the good old days amplified co-ax over those and greater distances was quite common, but with the cost of equipment and cable now, it would be daft to look at using that approach.

As you say rory, amplified UTP is more appropriate, although if there are a number of signals, or a mixture of video / audio / control, then fibre optic would be well worth considering.

In the course of my studies I had read about installing fiber optic, but I don't seem to hear of many installers using it. Is it as much a pain as it looks?

In the course of my studies I had read about installing fiber optic, but I don't seem to hear of many installers using it. Is it as much a pain as it looks?

YYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Installing it is not a pain (if you pay somebody to do it for you ).

If the cable is handled correctly, it's no big deal, but it does require a bit of practice and common sense to terminate the cable.

Mind you it's a heck of a lot easier than it was twenty years ago. At that time, the glue that's used to fix the fibre inside the connector, took 24 hours to cure, then the fibre had to be parted off with a diamond tipped tool, before it was hand polished using various grades of lanishing film.

The first time I did it, it took about 90 mins to do one connector, and I had 64 to do! Now that was a week to remember.

hi,

generally i need to wire up around 6 cameras which are around 1000 metre away from my dvr. If i were to use cat 5 utp or even fibre, it would be damn costly.= ) if i were to use RG6 with signal amplifier, how long can i stretch assuming its ok if there is a slight signal loss?

1500-2000'

Amplified UTP is way less expensive than Fiber by the way .. and about the same cost of amplified coax.

cat 5 amplified utp will give me 3000 feet?

using www.NVT.com equipment, they claim 1.5 miles with Cat5, and 3000 feet with UTP. Dont quote me, I havent used it yet personally, but they well respected in this area (and also expensive). I have emailed between them numourous times if you need a person to contact, let me know.

You can actually use their Amplified Transceivers, as a type of repeater, for further than 1.5 mile jobs.

The Coax and Cat5/UTP Ports work both ways also, on the transceivers, means you can either, using 16 cables as an example, put in 16 RG59 Cables, and output 16 Cat5, or input 16 Cat5 and output 16 RG59 ... plus they have all kinds of protection built in .. crisp video at long distances ..

I have seen their active reciever in action and it looked very good, using PTZ cameras. However, I have not used them myself (disclaimer!) yet ...

Rory

Edited by Guest

by the way, cat5 and UTP are different cables. The cheap baluns we use that claim 2000' are totally different also, and dont come close. When they do, you get video quality loss with them ... I got less quality over only 150' with a balun, same probably as I would have got with RG59 ... but it served the purpose ..utilizing Cat5 for alarm,phone, cctv, and network; and it was cheap... $25 per balun ...

Rory

I am relatively proficient with optical fiber installations. What kind of media converters are being used for CCTV over fiber?