drewliebs

Wireless solutions

Good evening.

I have a 6 channel analog DVR installation coming up. 4 cameras will be installed/hardwired to the dvr. My issue is that I have to install (2) cameras 0.3 miles away from the DVR. I have no way of running this over baluns, and have to use a wireless device. Can someone suggest a solution for streaming (2) cameras wirelessly to the DVR. I was planning on installing analog cameras (license plate cameras) at the far site...

Thanks for all of the help.

Good evening.

I have a 6 channel analog DVR installation coming up. 4 cameras will be installed/hardwired to the dvr. My issue is that I have to install (2) cameras 0.3 miles away from the DVR. I have no way of running this over baluns, and have to use a wireless device. Can someone suggest a solution for streaming (2) cameras wirelessly to the DVR. I was planning on installing analog cameras (license plate cameras) at the far site...

Thanks for all of the help.

This where IP cameras shine Any way to use a hybrid DVR with 2 megapixel cameras for LPR? Do you have line of site?

I'd second the IP camera/ link choice first. If you have to use analog cameras, I would still choose to use encoders, and if necessary, decoders at the headend with a good wireless data link before I would try to send 2 analog channels that far.

After 10+ years of playing with various analog links, I still have not found anything as good as a IP wireless link.

Frankly, the CCTV market is such a low volume market compared to the computing world as a whole, that no manufacturer in this industry will be able to compete without getting margins we do not want to pay. (ask yourself why you can buy a 8MP pocket camera with a decent 4X zoom lens for ~$150.00 or so, compared to anything offered up in the CCTV world? Volume sales, efficiency of scale, that's why!)

Anytime you can use products that were developed for mass market uses, jump on it!

Yes, use WiFI ip cameras.

The default range is from 10 to 100m, but if you need more you can use directional WIFI antennas.

Don't use cameras with built in wifi!!!! You can use any IP camera you like then connect it with the best access point you can afford. This setup give you a lot more options.

Don't use cameras with built in wifi!!!! You can use any IP camera you like then connect it with the best access point you can afford. This setup give you a lot more options.

That was what I meant, as well. Wi-Fi built-in cameras tend to be fairly low quality, and the camera location may not be where you need the antenna to be for best performance.

Also, you can often link several cameras at a remote location using one link, providing a performance and cost savings there...

Wireguys and I both seem to have found great performance, and often even better pricing, from wireless products designed for wireless internet service providers (Ubiquiti, EnGenius, Mikrotik, Etc.) than from anything marketed specifically to the CCTV market.

BTW, Ubiquiti just released a line of "N" speed gear that should be great for our industry, the "N" standard is optimized for multiple streams, at up to 300Mbps throughput. I have one install going in with it right now, and it's looking good so far...

That was what I meant, as well. Wi-Fi built-in cameras tend to be fairly low quality, and the camera location may not be where you need the antenna to be for best performance.

Also, you can often link several cameras at a remote location using one link, providing a performance and cost savings there...

Wireguys and I both seem to have found great performance, and often even better pricing, from wireless products designed for wireless internet service providers (Ubiquiti, EnGenius, Mikrotik, Etc.) than from anything marketed specifically to the CCTV market.

BTW, Ubiquiti just released a line of "N" speed gear that should be great for our industry, the "N" standard is optimized for multiple streams, at up to 300Mbps throughput. I have one install going in with it right now, and it's looking good so far...

Ubiquiti and EnGenius make Great products at a very good price.

I am new to the forum. I own a manufactured home rental community ( mobile home park) I have been reading your forum for sometime and about a year ago started playing around with putting security camera's around the park. My goal is to have these camera's, where I can monitor them from the internet. I would like to use a few wireless cameras because the cable runs are 5 and 6 hundred feet on a few of the camera's from where they will be recorded. I have most of the camera's on utility poles ( I own these poles) with street lights mounted five to six feet above the camera . My question is the wireless side of it. Seems the Texas Heat will have that wireless transmitter broke down by heat in no time. Have any of you worked or installed camera's that were placed in this condition and were successfull for a period of time.

A wireless bridge with video encoders and servers will do the job to a ANPR setup. [at least 54Mb and 5ghz A radios] if you have LOS

wireless IP cameras ? this is a 'grown-ups' forum

I hear you on the grownups forum ha ha. I was always taught that if you wanted to learn about something and get good at it you went to the professionals to learn. You dont learn about making money from someone who does not have any, you learn from someone that has alot of it. I thank you for what information you give out because I know it is from experience not just some CCTV wannabe.

I am new to the forum. I own a manufactured home rental community ( mobile home park) I have been reading your forum for sometime and about a year ago started playing around with putting security camera's around the park. My goal is to have these camera's, where I can monitor them from the internet. I would like to use a few wireless cameras because the cable runs are 5 and 6 hundred feet on a few of the camera's from where they will be recorded. I have most of the camera's on utility poles ( I own these poles) with street lights mounted five to six feet above the camera . My question is the wireless side of it. Seems the Texas Heat will have that wireless transmitter broke down by heat in no time. Have any of you worked or installed camera's that were placed in this condition and were successfull for a period of time.

As I mentioned earlier, take a look at Ubiquiti products, the NanoStation M especially, it is perfect for your application, you can use a single PoE injector to power the transmitter and IP camera.

As far as the heat, I'm in California's central valley, (summers above 110 degrees), and the stuff works fine. It is made for wireless internet service providers, and one of the biggest online forum contributors on Ubiquiti's site runs a WISP in Texas.

For the camera side, Acti on the low side and Panasonic, Arecont, and Mobotix on the higher side have worked well for me.

For a hybrid or NVR solution, take a look at Exacq.

As I mentioned earlier, take a look at Ubiquiti products, the NanoStation M especially, it is perfect for your application, you can use a single PoE injector to power the transmitter and IP camera.

As far as the heat, I'm in California's central valley, (summers above 110 degrees), and the stuff works fine. It is made for wireless internet service providers, and one of the biggest online forum contributors on Ubiquiti's site runs a WISP in Texas.

For the camera side, Acti on the low side and Panasonic, Arecont, and Mobotix on the higher side have worked well for me.

For a hybrid or NVR solution, take a look at Exacq.

+1

This where IP cameras shine

IP video servers even better, so you can use any camera you like.

This where IP cameras shine

IP video servers even better, so you can use any camera you like.

True but he asked for LPR. With one megapixel camera you can get the plate and the car. If you go with analog you could need 2 cameras one dedicated to the plate and another for an overall shot to get the car. Why use 2 cameras when you can do it with one? And if you need low light you can add IR to for the megapixel camera.

True but he asked for LPR. With one megapixel camera you can get the plate and the car. If you go with analog you could need 2 cameras one dedicated to the plate and another for an overall shot to get the car. Why use 2 cameras when you can do it with one? And if you need low light you can add IR to for the megapixel camera.

I didnt notice that, but can you list some IP LPR cameras, specifically for LPR I mean, for pitch dark apps and day time. Something that replaces say one of the Extreme CCTV LPR cameras ... the overview camera could be any cheap camera. I mean maybe he doesnt want to spend the huge amount of money they charge for somewhat adequate NVR software when he can plug the CCTV camera into a cheap sub $100 DVR

He could always use the video server for the other cameras and throw up some CCTV cameras to save $$. Actually he could decode it at the other end and put it into a DVR also. Now just to find that MP LPR camera.

I didnt notice that, but can you list some IP LPR cameras, specifically for LPR I mean, for pitch dark apps and day time. Something that replaces say one of the Extreme CCTV LPR cameras ... the overview camera could be any cheap camera. I mean maybe he doesnt want to spend the huge amount of money they charge for somewhat adequate NVR software when he can plug the CCTV camera into a cheap sub $100 DVR

He could always use the video server for the other cameras and throw up some CCTV cameras to save $$. Actually he could decode it at the other end and put it into a DVR also. Now just to find that MP LPR camera.

Yea Mobotix

And how much is that Extreme LPR camera?

Yea Mobotix

And how much is that Extreme LPR camera?

LOL extreme's is a crazy price.

well its been about five years since I talked about the distance problem I had with a couple of cameras. I did implement the wireless stuff using some engenius outdoor routers. I had good luck for a few years with them and they just dont seem dependable now. I have decided to go with fiber and be done with it. There is just too much wireless signal around here with all the houses close to each other and everyone has internet and everyone has a wireless router and everyone is in my frequency. I could get the wireless N stuff but better off hardwired.