bob the b

rs-232/rs-485 convertor

Im just istalling a ptz cam to a stand alone dvr's com port, i have a 232/485 convertor.

Its marked

+12v

gnd

485-

485+

Does this need a seperate 12v input marked +12 and gnd ,as well as the 485+&-, i assumed the power side would come from the cam?

you don't need to connect to the 12vdc unless it calls for it. Just conncect the PTZ to the 485_/+ and terminate as required. PTZ control is a one way issue, controller (DVR or PC) sends, reciever (PTZ) responds. If you have problems just ask. Baud rate may get you off course so start at 2400 and work your way up from there.

Thanks VST,

tried with 12v and without, no go.

I am trying it on a second stand alone which has a 485 port.

i have set it up as pelcop d (this is supported in dvr menu) the dvr doesn't have baud rate settings , but the dome is factory default at 2400.

Also the camera is id1 by default settings,so i have changed camera id in dvr to suit.

If the dvr has no baud rate settings do i have to play with them at the dome?

dvr has to have a baud rate.....that matches the PTZ. Your good on Pleco D and ID. Does the PTZ have a termination dip switch? If so, you need to terminate the last caboose (device) on the track (wire) ...so to speak. Turn the termination on at the PTZ.

What type DVR? baud rate at DVR maybe set in stone but you can adjust the PTZ up to see if that works? I may not have the answer for that but someone else may?

Dip switches are nos 1-12, in the manual it mentions dips 1-8 and 1-6....?

1-8 are for cam id 1-4 are for protocol and 5-6 for baud rate.

I wish i had checked before i fitted as its a long walk 16 foot up a ladder then back down then back up into the loft

The dips on the dome dont match what the manual say's so im a bit stuck

WTF next

This dvr http://www.rfconcepts.co.uk/7223%20MANUAL.pdf

This is ptz http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48636&item=5784077533&rd=1

and this is the converter i used on the firdt dvr http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60839&item=5782912653&rd=1

The dome has a vista motor/housing and seems good quality.

The cam gives a great pq ,dont move tho

Dont know if i caused any damage sending 12v dc down the rs convertor as the housing is 24 vac, even tho thats what it has marked on.

Please

Edited by Guest

well most of the time the cheap PTZs only work with the same brand DVRs, just like how I cant use the Eclipse PTZ on any DVR other than the Eclipse ... or at least I wouldnt even try it.

That PTZ looks like someone built it in their back yard with a zoom camera and some tools ...

Well the protocol and the camera id match , so if can get the dipswitch issue sorted i could be business

Rory dont tell me i have p----d $440 down the drain-------?

Well the dome i have doesn't match the manual as far as the dip switches go so i guess im stuck...................

Looks and smells of Ebay, but this time a happy end.

Dip switches were marked wrong on manual, received new settings and it works a treat.

Just a quick question to the Geo experts, will this connect to a geo pc using the 232/485 convertor i have, or will i need to add a gv net card

it should work fine. The GV-Net is nothing more than just an RS-485 to RS-232 converter that has power applied to it.

scottj

Cheers Scott.

In ptz setup my camera is not listed , can i add a default one?

after listing ptz device it goes on to ptz setup,

i know the address is 12 and the baud is 2400 and the protocol is d.

These settings are not taken affect until the cam is iniciated.

Ive linked the 232/485 convertor into com1, well theres only one com port.

I tell a lie theres two.

The smaller port vga size is that normally com 2 ?

Bob,

The fact that the camera is not listed only means that preset configurations for that manufacturer specific camera are not present. However it will still work fine. Use COM 1 if it is available and follow these instruction:

1.) Under System Configuration menu select the PTZ drop down menu and left click "Pelco Dome"

2.) A new box will appear, place a check mark in the "Activate" box in the lower left corner, place a check mark in the "Pelco D Protocol" box, you will see the baud rate change from the default 9600 to 2400. Verify that COM 1 is selected.

3.) Close that window and then from the main GUI open the PTZ control panel and you can begin teaching the camera tour patterns from there. You will also be able to control the OSD (On Screen Display) portion of the camera assuming the camera supports this feature.

Since I am not aware of what exact camera you have, I may be missing an addres switch setting that will need to be made on the camera PCB itself.

scottj

Scott,

the osd is supported as it was working on the stand alone.

I have connected the rs convertor to the pc,s rs232 port(small like vga)

I am trying to configure it but its not working.

Does the gv net card connect to this port.

To be honest i cant find in device manager which port im connected to

working now

Address had to be changed from 12 to 11 in geo.

Strange as its set at 12 at the cam and set at 12 at the dvr.

Any way thanks for the help

Going to fit a pelco dme to add to the system, thinking of wiring together with previous ptz and giving it a different address.

The pelco has rx +&- and tx +&-, which of these pair are used to the 232 convertor