securitymonster

Wireless Video Protection

So If you have a wireless video camera that transmits via UHF, 900mhz, 2.4ghz, etc, can't anybody hook up a wireless reciever and recieve the signal? Is there a way to protect that video transmission?

Encryption or scrambling helps block it, but with the 900mhz frequency not sure if encrpyption is available:

http://www.videocommtech.com/index.php?SCREEN=view_catalogue_level3&id=10&series_ID=30

I have only seen (at least in the VideoComm line) video scrambling for security available in their 5.8Ghz frequency:

http://www.videocommtech.com/index.php?SCREEN=view_catalogue_level2&add=edit&prod_ID=10

Im no wireless expert though just going by the specs they have ... this is the Full Motion Real time Wireless Video area, which is different from Wireless Networks/IP. Mentioning 900mhz Im sure this is what you were talking about right?

Rory

Yes, I'm referring to couple different wireless camera kits that I sell. They are 1.2ghz and 2.4ghz. I was playing around with recievers and I noticed that 3 differenent recievers picked up the 1 video signal !!! Just wondering if there is a way to block this.

Only if you did LOS or PTP transmission. Even then you're going to get spread from the signal. So the answer is no.

I have done a little research on those 1.2GHz transmitters. I know many places sell them, but from what I can tell you have to have a license to transmit on those frequencies.

The way I read this chart:

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/osmhome/allochrt.pdf

960MHz upto 1.35GHz is reserved for radio navigation type stuff and some bandwidth for Amateur Radio.

Wireless security is only as good as the technician setting it up. Either really bad, or really good. My advice would be to do a lot of research on the matter, before exposing yourself to a potential attack.

You don't need a licence for 1.2 Ghz as long as your under a certain Wattage. A number of portable phones use that space. And keep in mind, a wireless network can never be considered secure. No matter how much you lock it down, you should always treat it as an inscure space. Generally that means if it's wireless analogue, assume someone is watching. For Wi-fi, assume the network is comprised and build it within it's own area.

wear a mask .. then they cant see yah

Full face or stockings ?

Its not a big issue. I sell these retail to customers looking to keep an eye on their house locally by flipping to a certain channel or to watch their kids room, backyard, etc. This way its easy for them to install themselves...

Thanks for the help. I love this board...