I am looking at having to run several high res color cameras a little over a half mile. 3000' apx. Fiber would work I am sure, as would Trango wireless.

We all know how expensive Trango wireless is, and when I started looking at fiber translators I went WOW! not to mention the cost of the fiber.

From a purely cost perspective there are realtively reasonably priced powered balun type systems that claim to run as far as 6000' over twisted pair. Also, direct burial telco very is reasonably priced compared to fiber.

(6-8 cameras with spares for expansion and/or redundancy)

This needs to be very reliable.

Here are my questions.

Can I run 3000'+ foot with high res color with powered twisted pair baluns type systems? Reliably?

Is direct burial telco adequate for this application? Telco is twisted pair, but often the degree of twist is much less than cat 3. It may take severl inches per full twist.

Has any body specificaly installed an application like this?

What kind of results have you had?

If using NVT gear, cant speak for he rest: Approximates may have to check their exact specs:

Cat3 with Amplified on one end, passive on one end = 3000'

Cat3 with Amplified on both ends = 1 mile

Cat5 with Amplified on one end, passive on one end = 1 mile

Cat5 with amplified on both ends = 1.5 miles

Power is another issue, 24VAC can go far, but not the distances you mentioned. Would have to power that locally at the camera or closer to it.

Baluns will never make 6000', you are lucky to get over 1500', and then with passive the quality is not the best, which is where amplified would come in over 500-750'. Personally i dont use passive at all anymore, as i notice enough loss of quality over 150'. I only use passive on the camera end, and then amplified at the DVR end.

Use Multipair UTP twisted pair, or Cat5.

Sorry, I didn't see your responce. Cat 3 because when the customer was putting in trenching they put in 1/2" conduit. This conduit needs to feed 8 cameras. (The dealer asked for 3/4" conduit for each camera.) So we're hoping to figure out a way to get the video signal. Wireless is out and fiber is possible but expensive.

Use Multipair UTP twisted pair, or Cat5.

For underground?

If there are many bends half inch will be difficult to pull, and with fiber the 90s maybe to tight to be able to do it without puttingto much strain on the fiber.