VST_Man

UTP Balun's and ground loops

just a quick FYI

i've learned that if you use a active (powered) UTP Balun over a passive UTB Balun that you NEVER get any ground loop issues. yes you can purchase Balun's with ground loop isolation but they become pricey. i had a few installs where the UTP passives where passing ground loop. i installed ground loop isoilators and the bars went away but i had some very faint video shifting going on which DID set off the motion recording. Sooooooooooooooo, i replaced them (passive Balun and ground loop isolator) with active balun's and the pictures went from ok to great, the bars went away, and there is no shifting. i paid $25 for the passive and am now paying 40 for active. was worth the 15 bucks spent.

i'm not saying you won't get GL issues from active but i am saying the above worked/impressed me.

Which brand baluns are your using?

Doug

just a quick FYI

i've learned that if you use a active (powered) UTP Balun over a passive UTB Balun that you NEVER get any ground loop issues. yes you can purchase Balun's with ground loop isolation but they become pricey. i had a few installs where the UTP passives where passing ground loop. i installed ground loop isoilators and the bars went away but i had some very faint video shifting going on which DID set off the motion recording. Sooooooooooooooo, i replaced them (passive Balun and ground loop isolator) with active balun's and the pictures went from ok to great, the bars went away, and there is no shifting. i paid $25 for the passive and am now paying 40 for active. was worth the 15 bucks spent.

i'm not saying you won't get GL issues from active but i am saying the above worked/impressed me.

We have been using baluns from VU (www.VideoBaluns.com) for years and never had any ground loop issues or any problems. I know that even NVT that started this whole process does not recommend using their passive baluns to extend cat5e cables more than 750 feet, but with these pups, we are extending the same cables over 1,500' without any loss of video signal.. and the pricing is below $20.00...

They also are in process to manufacture active baluns at much more cost effective pricing and we already seen it and I think it is the best ones yet....

Levon

NVT-NV452R 4 CHANNEL ACTIVE RECEIVER

pricey but guaranteed

NVT is all i use for UTP now ...

For Active UTP, I will recommend equipment from American Fibertek. We have used them over NVT for many years and it is much more cost effective and better service. Here is their URL:

http://www.americanfibertek.com/

You pick anything you want from their catalog and let me know and I will send you a quote...

As for Passive Baluns, I will strongly recommend the VU products... These baluns also come with built in surge protectors and we never had any ground loop issues as described... This company is very small compared to NVT and others, but is an excellent manufacturer for these items and all they have for now are 2 products.. Just can not wait until they start producing the active baluns.... Our initial asssesment on the beta samples were excellent performers and besides the most cost effective units yet...

Levon