jisaac

Getting video over rough terrain

If you look at the first post, he said AIRFORCE installm which means that he cannot use WIRELESS, not so much for interferience purposes, but because of someone possibly "hack" the frequency line and be able to view what's going on. But, what abaout exterior grade, or direct burial CAT5? With some NVT balums and active transivers would also do the trick, and it will give you at least 2 more pairs to use just in case.

Plus, it will also be less os a hastle than to deal with fiber, and cheaper.

But if the Tx and Rx are I.R. Laser, they can be broken-an animal blocking the I.R. or foul weather or trees or even a thief?

I'm not getting into the politics of supplying the US military, but as Data has come up with some good points:-

Infra red light is not, and does not, have any affect on existing radio / microwave frequencies (or vice versa). Perhaps this is the only site on earth where invisible light frequencies can somehow scramble radio signals

Anyhow, if two units, i.e. the transmitter (which looks like a conventional weatherproof housing) and the receiver (ditto) are positioned high up "line of sight", then the only animals likely to momentarily break the beam are birds. Quite obviously if any permanent obstruction is placed in the light beam, then it just ain't gonna work!

With long range models in excess of 1000 metres, the transmitter usually has a number of emitters, which means that a slightly wider beam is transmitted, and that is inherently less prone to interuption.

As the light frequency is Infra Red, a 1000 metre range transmitter (which is actually de-rated to this distance to allow for probable obscuratiion caused by fog and cloud) would provide a very high reliability over a relatively short distance of some 200 metres.

If the camera image is considered 'Top secret', the signal (which can only be intercepted along a relatively narrow beam width) can easily be scrambled to prevent unauthorised access.

Then again, you could use the same technique, slap a length of 50/125 cable between the transmitter and receiver, and call it a Fibre Optic system

Then again, if this was a test range for aircraft using laser guided bombs, the use of a video "Laser Link" might not be the preferred option

Rory- Where do you get 4 panels from? 400 Watts @ 120VAC requires much more than 4 panels could ever produce. Even if you used 160 Watt panels, it would still take over 30 panels to power. This is the same reason why we put 1 Thermal Camera, and 1 standard PTZ on our security systems, for true day night capability. Take it from someone who works with solar every day, every watt counts.

6 panels at 80 watts. And also, remember it depends where you live. Up north you guys need more panels than down here also. Regardless of Solar panels, the point is that Thermal does not give you a proper video image, it has its uses, but not for general CCTV.

You now, I got a simple question to all this.

Does the installation have to be wired or can or cannot be wireless?

I would stick with fiber you ca get outdoor rated with a steel messenger

if they have power at the tower then you can get some fairly cheap converters and you would only have to terminate one fiber but of course it would be wise to terminate a couple of spares also. check prices with any major supplier for multi mode, arieal, outdoor rated, with messenger guessing it is around 1.50 per ft.

With pretty limited experience with CCTV and means of transporting the video signal, these ideas are really more like questions so that I can understand what won't work and why. Aerial multi pair twisted pair is very cheap and easy to run via from pole to pole with it built in strain relief cable. Is the mentioned distances not a "piece-o-cake" with the use of active baluns and such for the video signal. Would the escessive amount of misc. RF transmissions from the tower come into effect for video over twisted pair? Perhaps I overlooked the details of the required camera, but if twisted pair was used, would the needed power from solar panels/ batteries not just need to provide for the camera, houseing fan / heater and active balun?

Edited by Guest

anyway, as for the camera, i suggest one of these

http://www.extremecctv.com/products/index.cfm?img=66

If you dont have any light anywhere then you wont see the weather anyway ...

email extremeCCTV for solar panel info for a UF600 or another depending on how tall the tower is, or where you will mount the IR. IR will at least let you see if its raining or snowing. If thermal can do this, then that would also be a choice.

If you do decide on Twisted Pair, use this

http://www.nvt.com/products/NV_214AM.html

and this receiver.

http://www.nvt.com/products/NV_652R.html

Rory, sorry hadn't realized the forum turned my numbers into a happy face.....

It would take SIXTY-EIGHT, Eighty Watt panels to power what you are talking about, Not Six. However, the illuminators would only be on for 9 hours (at night), so you'd really only need TWENTY-FOUR panels.

~400 Watts @ 120 VAC - 3.35 Amps. Factor in a sine-wave invertor for voltage convertion from 12VDC to 120VAC and you'll lose 15% efficiency as well. So to backtrack, that's 354.7 amp hours per day at 85% efficiency. You'd also need TWELVE, Nighty-Eight amp hour batteries to have just One day of autonomy (backup). As you can see, this PV system is getting rather large, and we haven't even started on charge controllers. Believe me, running that much power for 1 camear is not feasible.

yeah i dont think they need all that

anyway its a weathercam so a cheap bullet will probably work

only have about 30 seconds to type a response. so here it goes. Dont need illuminators. they definiltly want the moodance via extreme cctv. they like the winshield wiper ( a 12 thousand dollar winshield wiper, go figure ). Anyways will give a better response when I have a second

jisaacmagee

I do have some nice fiber shots. I just have to pull them out of my portfolio and scan. I would climb anything, bud. When a was a wee bit of a Lad, I was a tree climber (State Certified Arborist). These days, I just hop in the bucket.

Wireless Solar Powered Camera in the middle nowhere on a 50 foot pole. Video over 10,000 feet through tree lines and it was a breeze. The 330 Amp/Hour Batteries give us 13.8 constant volts. The load of that camera is 1.2 Amps Most cameras use under 500mA. So, with a solar powered array of 15' X 9' produces 18 Amps for 4 peak hours on a hot sunny Florida afternoon. The peak radiation drops signifcantly down to 3 Amps in overcast weather.

Either way, You can use IR, but how far do you really need to light up? If possible, run power lines from solar battery station to areas of interest, mounted on poles closer to the POV, instead of mounting them on the tower so high up lighting could be wasted. Unless you are using the milSpec Cantronic IR Canons that supposedly go 800 yards, (my ass).

Anyway, Solar is the best choice and if you could NIX the IR prerequisite, then you could go with much smaller panels and around $1500 - $2000 for half of my set up.

I hope this helps!

Adam-

Wireless IP is not compatable with GEOVision and it was far more expensive to use a wireless IP antennas to beam the T1 out to the area than doing it over video. They want this camera to be moved over and over again during the course of the construction project.

Wireless IP cams just didn't add up as they are not that versatile as standard PTZ cams, which can be used in conjunction with our recording system for the job site security.

Do you mean wireless IP cameras are not compatible with GeoVision, or wireless IP in general?

We have deployed wireless IP access points and back hauled the video to Geo boxes before without a problem. Using the Motorola Canopy system you can easily build a VLAN or create a Point-To-Point configuration that allows up to 10MB video streams.

Scottj

Are you actually using Motorolla Canopy? I've seen the pricing on their stuff, pretty astronomical, especially for just 10mb. Must be pretty good stuff if they charge as much as they do?