scottj

Experiences with Nitek UTPLink products?

Anyone in here have opinions from using Nitek products? Here is what I may use, but in quantity (large deployment)

http://www.nitek.net/utplinks_xp/PS105.htm

Power supplies

http://www.nitek.net/surge_protectors/DVRPTR16.htm

Surge Protection (head end)

http://www.nitek.net/utplinks_xp/CX452.htm

Modular Card Cage

http://www.nitek.net/utplinks_xp/CHM16.htm

Crossover Insertion cards

http://www.nitek.net/utplinks_xp/CXM22.htm

Crossover Insertion cards w/RS422

http://www.nitek.net/single_channel/VB43ATF.htm

Video Baluns (cameras)

http://www.nitek.net/surge_protectors/CAMPVC24.htm

Surge Protection (camera end)

Would like to hear your thoughts. I am not looking for price as the driving factor here, quality and reliability is the most important.

We will have this equipment mounted in 77" 44RU cabinets, and use bulkhead style connections from building to building in order to keep adding channels. 150-200 cameras here.

scottj

scott, I'll ask around the shop on Monday. I saw them somewhere on a service call, but I don't recall where.

Sal, the passive balun that you are referring to is from VU... Their website is as follows: http://www.videobaluns.com/

The company is located in Boston and great people to work with. Both of their models BL3265 & BL3725 have the surge protectors built in, which NVT charges double the amount... These baluns give you much longer CAT5 cable stetch than NVT and we easly stretch such cables to 1,500' without any loss of video signal...

Also, please keep the price discussions only in the Dealer section if possible..

Herm, any comments??

Levon

You will always get loss of video over 100' on any cable, especially cat5 .. without an amplifier.

This is one i used and i used a couple others which were no better, ill never use passive again, especially baluns. Video Quality loss at 150' on 3 out of the 5 cameras. Also got alot of white in the image, (brightness), and interference even though all wire was run by me and kept 2 feet away from any electric.

http://www.seco-larm.com/EVPPT11_C.htm

Not to mention how easily the wire comes out of these things if you knock it .. very unprofessional gear .. but okay for DIYers.

Rory, not sure what you are referring to, but I will tell you that VU passive baluns are better than NVT crap out there...

Based on your assessment of having a "loss of video over 100'", I firmly belive now that you never used this product. I have seen you respond before on this same topic in the same manner, but you never stressed if you used these baluns. I can see in many posts that you like NVT, but that brand is a piece of crap and there are many others out there that make much better gear than NVT and much more cost effective.

Now, I have seen and tested your referenced baluns from that website. Well, I will concur with you that those baluns are very poorly designed and that is why you had a very bad experience. But lets not generalize your bad experience with the ones that you tested and based your decision on that alone.

That is why we have this forum to exchange information for better products and better ideas and I hope you will accept my assessment that yes, these baluns do work and perform much better. We have tested these passive baluns from VU in a very large warehouse installations and were able to extend CAT5 cables to 1,500' streight runs and were able to get an exceptional video quality... In other areas of the warehouse, we used the active baluns from American Fibertek and were able to extend CAT5 to 5,000' with no problems at all

May be it will be a good idea for you to get a pair of these baluns and test them yourself (if you do not belive my assessment)!

Levon

Bad Design ... the VU baluns in the PDF are exaclty the same design!!!!

Baluns are Baluns, they are all the same shape, some have tooless connections, some have screw ons.

id bet they are the same thing since they look identical..

Actually I have used an NVT active hub and it is crystal clear high quality.

Baluns ARE for DIYers and non professionals, just their design alone qualifies it as unprofessional. If it is only on the camera end, fine, but at the System end, its not a good idea.

And to say those cheap little baluns are better than NVT ... gotta be kidding!

But if yah want to send me a pair to test i will, just dont see how it can be any different from what I used as they look identical down to the T. .

Rory,

Again, you are incorrect. How can you see the designs of the product when such design is not available for your reivew? Are you comparing the outer shell plastic covers or how each design defers from each other and better yet, how they were manufactured? How do you know what each design contains or do you have their design information?

And yes, NVT gear is crap and I have sold enouph to prove you or anyone wrong if Ihave to, but that is a mute point. Yes, NVT started this technology, but they never got their head out of their..... and everyone looked at the concept and perfected the technology...

But, that is ok.

I will leave you with this thought to think about - the experience in any trade renders easier and better solutions than aggressive and pationate disbelief based on theories or emotions...

Levon

Well my dear rory, I must admit that lev has got you by the ***.

I have tested the VU BL3265, and what I did was took an entire roll of CAT5, (1000') and hooked a cheapo taiwanese camera to it, and everything was 110% perfect. I then proceeded to take that roll, and placed it in top of a FLOURECENT BALAST!, and no inteferince what so ever.

I will install this in one particular application that I have problems with, and just to make the case rest, I have been to the VU factory, which is actually about 15 min north of boston, and I get from a very good source that they make the damm things in house, but they might just import the actual parts to put it together, but who knows? and who cares? they work, and that's all that matters.

here's a pic of the VU:

vu.jpg

so as you can see, yes, there is a little chip inside

Don't worry lev, when he get's his but here, I'll show him.

Edited by Guest

but my dear rory, I have also used my new Pano 484 that I got the other day, and it was at daytime.

I used the cheapo one because those tend to have the most problems with video transmission, so I believe that it was the perfect test subject to test against image interferience.

Guys, I have been in VU's facilities in Boston and I personally know the president of the company. Now, if you know anything about my posts, you know I am not biased with any product line and never will be. Every manufacturer we work with has their best and the worst and I will never have a problem to expose either.

But lets be professional in the forum and stress the facts and nothing but facts, rather just posts something for just heck of doing it.

Sanyo is a great manufacturer and yes, they have their best and the worst and I will not state otherwise if they have anything that will damage our performance. However, I have not had any issues with them nor any of their products and their reputation is top notch. Therefore, please lets not compare Sanyo with NVT...

I will not say the same or hold any punches back about NVT however, as their entire product line is based on hype and due to the fact that they started this technology or better yet copied the techology, therefore they must be respected - B.S.... When you use enouph of their products and realize all the limitations and then find other sources that provide much better and more cost effective gears, then you will change too....

But then again, you may not... and again, I will leave you with the same thought to think about as I stressed below...

Another thread gone bad...haha

Hey guys don't sweat it, I have already purchased Nitek equipment. NVT had minimal rack mount equipment for the head end, the Nitek offered the modular crossover distribution cards that make a nice clean scalable system. The VU baluns that I saw did not offer Data/Video/Power, only video and power. Maybe I just didn't find it on their website? Regardless, thanks for the opinions, much appreciated.

scottj

Well its all based on personal opinion and we are all entitled to it.

I merely stated my experiences with these little baluns based on 2 well known brands i have used, and that one of them look identical to the VU ones. . whatever the brand, they are not secure enough for any security installations I can think of. As for Sanyo, cameras are good but i wouldnt touch their DVRs until they come out with something decent looking. And NVT, well thats up to you ... im looking at the Nitek also, but only amplified. Gawd darnit inet was off all night again! da tird wurld ..

Edited by Guest

Only you are entitled to a personal opinion Rory, the US doesn't allow us to have one. Our opinions are predetermined here by our politicians.

haha

Scottj

i dont know, our gov here is getting real cosy with castro, dont know how long we will be able to be opiniated, without getting executed in the public square!

I dont have any cheetas but i gots a couple resident potcakes, daddy long legs and the odd west indian roach ( nice meal ) ..

Well its all based on personal opinion and we are all entitled to it.

I merely stated my experiences with these little baluns based on 2 well known brands i have used, and that one of them look identical to the VU ones. . whatever the brand, they are not secure enough for any security installations I can think of. As for Sanyo, cameras are good but i wouldnt touch their DVRs until they come out with something decent looking. And NVT, well thats up to you ... im looking at the Nitek also, but only amplified. Gawd darnit inet was off all night again! da tird wurld ..

Rory, do not sweat it man... It is called learning... and you know your personal opinion does count, but sometimes sit back and observe and sometimes you will see that you are learning something new Everyones, not only yours, opinion do count. My only beef is that if you are not 100% sure on a specific topic, let others get involved and may be we all will learn something new...

Let me make final comment for this thread - The Sanyo DVRs may not be the best embedded systems, but it delivers the goods and it does work. Like any manufacturer, they have their best and the worst and if you think that they DVRs are not for you, then stay with something else that does. As for NVT, well I will take Nitek anytime vs. NVT...

Levon

Another thread gone bad...haha

Hey guys don't sweat it, I have already purchased Nitek equipment. NVT had minimal rack mount equipment for the head end, the Nitek offered the modular crossover distribution cards that make a nice clean scalable system. The VU baluns that I saw did not offer Data/Video/Power, only video and power. Maybe I just didn't find it on their website? Regardless, thanks for the opinions, much appreciated.

scottj

Scott, no thread in this forum goes bad It sometimes goes other ways that we never intended... That is what makes this forum interesting...

Good choice on your Nitek equipment... Keep us posted on the progress and the results.. I am curious how it stocks up with latest and greatest with American Fibertek's latest and greatest (hope you used them before)....

Levon