DataAve

Miniature Video Transmitters

Just installed miniature video fiber transmitters. We finished up a college a couple of months ago and they wanted to expand. We had suggested to put cams to cover the entrances of the 4 dorms initially, they decided not to. They didn't want to make the students feel like they (the college) were invading the student's privacy. It is actually a selling point when Parents see them-the dorm buildings are away from the college buildings. I ran the extra fiber/coax for future use anyway.

We used these little puppies and they fit right in the housing. They worked beautifully. Fiber Options S700VT-MST. They run about $100 US. The fiber install was pre-existing, because it is a Technical College. We tapped right into the channels on their system.

Here is some info:

http://www.ge-consultantlink.com/Docs/s700vt_mst_series_prd.pdf

do you need special tools for fiber? Like gloves, face gear etc..??

Never used gloves, face gear etc.. for fiber. Just DO NOT look into the fiber end and you will be fine. I DO NOT touch the glass either. You can get a glass slither into your skin (like a wood splinter) and I have "heard" if it travels to the heart, you're in trouble. I have gotten one caught in my finger, but I got it out.

In order to test the fiber, we have an apprentice look into the connector end, when he goes blind, we know we made a good connection (running joke).

Cool.

So is the 100 bucks for transmitter AND receiver? Did you use the ST model shown in the .pdf? SC is way more popular around here... I would imagine you can get it in a SC too.

I always wear eye protection when terminating fiber. I've heard the same fiber in the blood stream warnings too.