imdcb

PC Control Software

I am very new to the world of CCTV. I am trying to connect one camera to a laptop which would be able to view the signal, as well as control the lens and PTZ servo. I am using a Rainbow Lens (L10X65MCS), which is controlled by an LCA4 Lens controller. The camera is attached to a Diawa PTZ-M2 Servo, which controls pan and tilt.

I need to be able to control pan, tilt, zoom, focus, and iris from the laptop, and I realize that I will need both hardware and software to do this. I already have a lead on an s-video/USB adapter, but the rest is pretty foreign. Does anyone have any suggestions where to start? If need be, I can ditch the servo, maybe even the lens.

I think your best bet is to buy a single channel video server (very small, less than a pound) and use the intergrated Pelco PTZ protocols to control the camera. I am not familiar with your servo, but a controller for the lens and pan tilter that will accept Pelco P or D is very inexpensive. Is this something that is going to be in the field and needs to be mobile? Or is it that you would prefer to just be able to use your laptop versus a desktop to control the camera?

In other words, if you use a video server you can assign it an IP on the network and use your laptop to save the video data and control the PTZ. You can even set the recording schedule to send video data FTP from the server to the laptop over the LAN and save it that way. There are many options, this one is a very cost effective soltuion and will give you better controls over your video.

Is there any 'all-inclusive' software that can team up with this setup (view video and run Pelco controls)??