stringer

Outdoor Gate Surveillance

Hi,

1st time poster here and complete newbie. Im looking for advice and google came up with this site, what a great forum. I live in FL and needed some kind of outdoor surveillance camera that will record. It is for my gate which is about 110 yards from my home.

I was wondering if theres any relatively inexpensive (few hundred or less) wireless setup that can aid me in this situation. Theres been some obvious activity at my gate and I have even heard gunfire many times so this seems to be a serious problem. It is always at night time and I was looking to catch this on video to perhaps put an end to this.

Is a setup like this available for around that price? What would you recommend? I'd sure like any and all advice as I dont know the 1st thing about this. The area in front of my gate is about 12'x22' i would imagine. Thanx in advance!

Do you have a good "line of site" to the gate from the house? I'd hang a decent low light outdoor PTZ with great zoom and record 24/7. Just guessing, need to know more;

- lighting?

- any power at the camera location?

- can you run any wire, underground?

you'll need at a minium; 4 channel DVR, outdoor camera and enclosure(highres low light varifocal) this will cost you atleast 500 or more and it's not wireless yet. god wireless "might" make that distance but you may need better. I'd wire it, pay for the ditch diggers because in the long run, no punn intended, it will last longer and look better.

ps...your budget is not realistic. Unless you spend the money for decent equipment you won't get decent results. X10, cheap Dlink, Walmart, ect., all have something to fill the requirement but you won't be happy with the result.

Gunfire.

You might want to up the budget a little bit.

That product WirelessEye posted looks interesting. For the price range your taking about most wireless products wouldnt' even come close to meeting your needs.

Don't know for sure, but WirelessEye would know, that is his speciality.

Don't go over to ebay and start looking around. Most of the stuff that they have are junk that won't work after a few feet away. How about installing a regular day night camera in the house, and put a nice 60-100mm lens zoomed right into the gate, that will do the tick, and cost you probably less than a cheap outdoor PTZ.

You think he would be able to do that for the price range he is talking about?

The lens itself would be pretty expensive.

Maybe a cheap OEM camera?

I interpreted it as a price for an overall solution. When he checks back he can clarify that for us.

That product you pointed out was interesting. I started thinking of someone sharing a DSL connection on a street where they won’t install another one because of bandwidth issues. If they have a solution for being able to share a connection at a fairly good distance apart the person without the DSL might pay for the equipment to accomplish this as a long term investment.

It sure beats having to use a 56K modem.

Edited by Guest

Speakeasy has an plan where they set you up as a mini-wifi ISP. Your neighbors pay $20, you get $10, Speakeasy gets $10.