tdenson

PTZ problems with Swann equipment

I have a Swann DVR8-4000 DVR and it is connected to a Swann 750-Pro PTZ dome camera. The standalone PTZ box (which has a separate IR remote to control it) always works. When I connect to the DVR it works sometimes, but I am convinced it's not just a cable issue - it suddenly stops working when I'm not touching it and then only starts again after fiddling around powering things off and on and unplugging and replugging the PTZ connector. I wonder whether it may be to do with terminating resistors and have rung Swann but their UK TS leaves a little to be desired ("what's a terminating resistor"). I cannot see any switch on the camera and am waiting for their level one support to contact their level 2 support in Australia, but not holding my breath. Is there anyone on here who is an expert on Swann stuff ?

Also, I want to multidrop the PTZ so I can use both the DVR and the remote controller, I assume that would also have an effect on termination.

I have a Swann DVR8-4000 DVR and it is connected to a Swann 750-Pro PTZ dome camera. The standalone PTZ box (which has a separate IR remote to control it) always works. When I connect to the DVR it works sometimes, but I am convinced it's not just a cable issue - it suddenly stops working when I'm not touching it and then only starts again after fiddling around powering things off and on and unplugging and replugging the PTZ connector. I wonder whether it may be to do with terminating resistors and have rung Swann but their UK TS leaves a little to be desired ("what's a terminating resistor"). I cannot see any switch on the camera and am waiting for their level one support to contact their level 2 support in Australia, but not holding my breath. Is there anyone on here who is an expert on Swann stuff ?

Also, I want to multidrop the PTZ so I can use both the DVR and the remote controller, I assume that would also have an effect on termination.

hello

This issue comes form RS485 star construction or long distance .

Normally every dome can set the Termination Resistor to 120 Ohm by switcher .

Can you find the camera address switcher ?

take a photo to me .

Regards

Philip

Vidocanada@gmail.com

hello

This issue comes form RS485 star construction or long distance .

Normally every dome can set the Termination Resistor to 120 Ohm by switcher .

Can you find the camera address switcher ?

take a photo to me .

Regards

Philip

Vidocanada@gmail.com

Have now had a response from Swann and apparently there is a terminating resistor at the camera

Hi im having them same issue PTZ750 works fine with controller , and fine if just connected to the DVR , but as soon as both connected only the DVR will work the camera and not the controller .

What and where do you turn the resistor on ?

Thanks

anyone ?

I don't think it's switchable, it's always there

did you get yours both working together ? (if so how ?????)

anyone ?

I don't think it's switchable, it's always there

did you get yours both working together ? (if so how ?????)

Yes, they are both working together, but can be a bit erratic at time. They are just wired together in parallel as per multi drop.

Yes, they are both working together, but can be a bit erratic at time. They are just wired together in parallel as per multi drop.

multi drop ?

multi drop ?

This just refers to wiring them in parallel

multi drop ?

This just refers to wiring them in parallel

i have 2 cables from dvr into controller then from controller to camera , does that sound right ?

Hi Guy's /Girls !!!!!

First time here but I have now spent 2 weeks sorting out Swann PRO 750 PTZ's & the DVR8 4000. Purchased from Maplins as they discounted everything (with a twist of the arm !!!!), so here goes ......

They DON'T supply all the information you need !!!!, My cameras both the PTZ & the 780 pro's sold as separates are confusing if you read all the info ...... However i'm "Dogmatic" !!!!!!!

First BEFORE you fit the unit TRY IT !!!!! do a "dry run" i.e just sit it on the side & plug it in !!!!!! one at a time NOT all at once ...... (I had 1no camera faulty out of the box & 2no leads 30m leads , 1 overhead installed )

Second there is "dip" switches inside of the dome (Behind the lens) for each camera you need to assign i.e Camera 1 = 1 / 2 = 2 etc with a small electrical screwdriver you can do this & it wont hurt to move it so you can access it .... just push the dip switch "up" 1 starts at the inside of the camera working out to 10. (This is not an option with any other camera than PTZ's & the default position is off)

Third is "Dip" 8 & 10 both need to be up (just they way "talk" to the DVR) when you plug the camera in it does a self test & displays on the monitor (briefly to start but after self test for longer) camera name / Baude rate (NEEDED) / PELCO-D (NEEDED) & other bits that you don't need to no !!!!!

Fourth the fun bit !!!!!!! DVR happy days ......... the Baude rate has to match the camera ...... so you have to go through per camera & change it to match what the cameras says (hope you wrote it down !!!!! ).

Last get a connector block so you can connect all cameras in block then on to the supplied block ( I gave up after 4 )

I now have 4no PTZ's up & running + 2no 780's all with control

I also have it on both I-phones & I-pad's with control !!!!!! But that again is a mission, until you know how !!!!!!!!

Next stage is to see if I can make it work on "patrol" but with "motion" as well .......Well shall see !!!!

OH !!!!! Bin the other bit's apart from the leads / small board / screws etc not needed & you will just fill up the loft with more junk !!!!!

Best Andy

OH !!!!! Bin the other bit's apart from the leads / small board / screws etc not needed & you will just fill up the loft with more junk !!!!!

Best Andy

I was confused as to why they supplied a spare circuit board, but then I decided that because it is so unintuitive getting it out of the camera housing to thread the cable that there must be loads of people who destroy it in the process - so instead of doing the easy thing and documenting it properly they use a sledgehammer approach !