hazim

Video via Cat-5 alongside with 220V Cable

Dear all.

It's my first post in this forum . I work in CCTV from around 3 years.

I have a project and need to ask about something for it. There will be 5 analog cameras installed near each other but are far around 80m from the DVR. I preferred to use twisted pairs with baluns for the first time. As the distance isn't that big I'll use passive 330m baluns.

The power cable should be taken from the DVR place to the cameras, 12V on 80m cable for 5 cameras (5x0.75A) isn't a good idea absolutely, due to the voltage loss that theoretically bigger than 12V.

So I should use a 2x0.5mm cable alongside with the twisted pairs cable to transfer 220V AC to the cameras, and put a 12V DC power supply there...

My question is: Does the 220V AC cable alongside the twisted pairs video transmission cable/cables make interference and disturb/parasitize the video image??

Regards,

Hazim

Dear all.

It's my first post in this forum . I work in CCTV from around 3 years.

I have a project and need to ask about something for it. There will be 5 analog cameras installed near each other but are far around 80m from the DVR. I preferred to use twisted pairs with baluns for the first time. As the distance isn't that big I'll use passive 330m baluns.

The power cable should be taken from the DVR place to the cameras, 12V on 80m cable for 5 cameras (5x0.75A) isn't a good idea absolutely, due to the voltage loss that theoretically bigger than 12V.

So I should use a 2x0.5mm cable alongside with the twisted pairs cable to transfer 220V AC to the cameras, and put a 12V DC power supply there...

My question is: Does the 220V AC cable alongside the twisted pairs video transmission cable/cables make interference and disturb/parasitize the video image??

Regards,

Hazim

or for 80m use 24v cameras cat5 to each camera with 1 pair for video rest split for power

Thanks for your recommendation, but I have the cameras to be installed, they are 12V. Also I'll use each twisted pair for a camera. I just need an answer for my question an my problem may be solved.

Thanks for your recommendation, but I have the cameras to be installed, they are 12V. Also I'll use each twisted pair for a camera. I just need an answer for my question an my problem may be solved.

your problem is how many cables ...... you could use 12v 5 amp at that distance (for each camera) which means a cable for each.

if your going 220v option then it also depends where you are located ....... most will need 220v in conduit

Does the 220V AC cable alongside the twisted pairs video transmission cable/cables make interference and disturb/parasitize the video image??
If you mean running 220VAC and twisted pair in the same conduit/pathway then you should use separate distribution pathways otherwise you are asking for trouble.

I mean using the UTP cable for the video of the cameras, and use a separate 2x0.5 cable for the 220V. I'm asking if putting these two cables all that distance beside each other, will cause an interference and disturb the video image. I hope I've clarified my question well.

I mean using the UTP cable for the video of the cameras, and use a separate 2x0.5 cable for the 220V. I'm asking if putting these two cables all that distance beside each other, will cause an interference and disturb the video image. I hope I've clarified my question well.

Fill your Boots if you want to install without code regs.

doing a 80m extention lead does not come under code.

this is the info people are trying to get from you ......... will power and video be in same conduit or conduit for each

It is not advisable to run communication cable and high voltage cable either in the same conduit / cable tray or within 12 inches (0.3m) open for distances longer than a couple of inches. The reason is that the high voltage can induce current in the other cables, causing noise and a risk of electric shock.

Sorry I was mistaken, the distance is 50m not 80m.

Actually I didn't know what "conduit" means but now I knew. I'll not use a conduit but I'll use a steel wire and attach the cables with it, so it doesn't break under the pressure of snow and wind. The wires well be between two buildings roofs.

As I see now, I have to choices:

1- Use to steel wires, about 1m apart, one for the UTP cable and the other one for the 220V cable.

2- Take a 220V line from the other building, where the cameras are installed (needs an OK from the building's owners), and put a battery and UPS and a power for powering the cameras.

* The electricity here in Lebanon goes off for long times daily! a UPS is a must. There is one installed for the DVR.

Choice #2 may cost a little more but I prefer it if the building owner said OK for using 220V for there building.

50m. ...... you are making so much work for yourself ......... 5 cat5s with 12v 5 amp for each camera. you have to install cable anyway.

Actually I didn't know what "conduit" means but now I knew. I'll not use a conduit but I'll use a steel wire and attach the cables with it, so it doesn't break under the pressure of snow and wind. The wires well be between two buildings roofs.

As I see now, I have to choices:

1- Use to steel wires, about 1m apart, one for the UTP cable and the other one for the 220V cable.

2- Take a 220V line from the other building, where the cameras are installed (needs an OK from the building's owners), and put a battery and UPS and a power for powering the cameras.

* The electricity here in Lebanon goes off for long times daily! a UPS is a must. There is one installed for the DVR.

Choice #2 may cost a little more but I prefer it if the building owner said OK for using 220V for there building.

For the mains power use a stranded high flex 3 core mains cable around 2.5mm and an online interactive UPS

In this region voltage will also fluctuate so you must minimise volt drop. Also use a voltage regulator to protect against over voltage as well.

Earth differentials may also be a problem.

This design would not meet any European electrical regulations or Health and safety guidelines but I assume this is not a problem where you are.

If you maintain seperation at a minimum of one metre you should be OK with interference, but better to double this to a minimum of 2m. Use good quality baluns like NVT

Ilker

Hello Hazim.

It's a lot more difficult to use 220V between buildings. You need wire rated for that voltage, and need to protect it in conduit. Also, there is a greater chance of fire or electrocution if things go wrong.

You could use 24VAC between the buildings, and a 24VAC to 12VDC switch-mode converter like this one:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/AC-24V-to-DC-12V-Power-converter-amera-Side-24VAC-to-DC-12V-Coverter-power/716488621.html as an example.

The best of these power supplies are "isolated", where they have an internal isolating transformer which prevents ground loops. I don't know whether the one in that link is isolating.

Measure the resistance between the 12V negative terminal and the coax shield on your cameras. Those that have continuity (low resistance) could have problems with ground loops, so you should use an isolated converter for each camera. If there is no continuity, then you could power several cameras from each converter.

Thank you all, the problem is solved, I'll use a 220V cable and use a 12V power supply/adapter at the cameras' side. No problem in using 220V cable as I mentioned before. The cable will be attached to another steel cable, both video (UTP) and 220V (power) cables will be "parallel" and 1 to 2 meters apart.

I'm thinking in another issue/problem that I may face. As I said, the UTP cable will be used for 4 cameras, this cable is attached to a steel cable, what I'm thinking about is that with 50m UTP and the steel cable, the electromagnetic waves in the air may "condensate" in the wire or make a flux in it, which will make noise in the aligned UTP's video signals and distorts the image. Would this happens?

Regards,

Hazim

Dear All.

I've installed the cameras according to what we said here, the attached picture clarifies what I did. The distance between the 220V cable and the CAT-6 cable is 50cm at maximum and tends to zero at the ends. The image is very clear and there is no interference at all. Thank you.

Untitled.jpg.5735e5b86f43ad3e95a2356fa7506e3f.jpg