cachecreekcctv

Satellite Internet Transmission Cameras

Hello,

Does anyone out there have experience with Satellite Internet? (i.e. Direcway, etc.) I am in need of remotely viewing one or two cameras over the internet, but where the cameras are, there is no cable lines, only phone or ISDN (told that by SBC). I would like to try to upload images from these two cameras, but can't really get any decent information out of Direcway Distributor in the area (Northern California) about upload speed, etc. Any help will be much appreciated here!!Thanks!

Thanks!

Sort of stuck here on this one. I am beginning the home building process, and my new home is about 3 hours away. Need to keep an eye on things, as this property is sort of remote. Not too remote, though. Have power and phone lines, but that's all. Checked into different Internet options, but it seems that Satellite is only option. Not worth spending a hundred thousand to build a house (or much more) to have someone come and destroy the home in progress. Or have contract employee steal materials. Any suggestions here? Thanks again.

check into a "construction camera".

Satellite? The uplink is what sucks about it.usually equal to dial-up 56kbs. Downlink is around 1500kbs.

But, if your house is worth it, spend the money on satellite because it will work. All you need to do is connect it and you'll have a viewable video security system that will baby sit for you. I'd make the camera's VERY obvious and I would remote the hard drive storage to make sure you have the evidence when someone walks off with the DVR.

To save you money you could just buy 1 decent network PTZ, connect to satellite, and record the images on a FTP site. Have the PTZ perform a "roam". A second network cam would be nice to have at the main entrance, very visible. Add some "fakes" and signs and you should be a hard target vice a soft.

Also, check with satellite and the ports they allow passed BEFORE you buy. If all it offers is port 80 then you only have one port to send up on.

What about DSL, since there are phone lines there?

Other options:

Wireless Internet?

Wireless Network - 40 miles approx for example

No DSL at location of property. No cable also. SBC did state " ISDN available". Not sure if that would be faster than dial-up or? I guess that is why I was thinking about the Satellite Internet. Have heard about poor upload speed, though, just don't know anyone who has tried and failed, but at least tried. Will definitely purchase and install something though. Just not going to let house and property sit idle and vacant to let local hoodlums take advantage of the place. Too far to drive every day. About 4 hours one way. Have heard of "Construction Cams" on the web, so will check into this a little further. Need to do my homework on that though. Any more suggestions on this?

The problem you are going to have with the satellite is that all your download speed will be going to waste in a DVR application. And the upload speed will be slow like a regular modem.

It will be great for downloading once your moved in. It sucks for trying to use in a DVR application where upload speed is the most important factor.

On your side monitoring will only be as fast as the upload speed of the connection at your new house.

(I apologize if you already know all of this.)

If you can get ISDN then you will get at least twice as fast upload speed that may work for you depending on how many cameras you want.

I think WirelessEye might be able to help you out if your house is an area that can be helped with wireless technology. It something to explore anyway.

The "Big Dog" trick would work at my current home. Unfortunately, when that dog starts chasing deer, skunks, etc. and gets out of a fence, I am in deep trouble at the far away property. I visited the "Wireless Eye" website, and PM'd the rep here on this forum, but haven't gotten any response yet. This system of the "Wireless Eye" must use microwave to transmit, so that means that they must have some sort of "line of sight" right? Probably won't be able where I will be building, but just maybe. Has anyone who reads this post used Satellite to upload at all? Just wondering. Spoke to Satellite sales reps, but they didn't know much more than my teenage son about "uploading". They wanted to sign a contract right now without even knowing where my property was. I guess I have a couple of months still, but have to resolve this somehow!! Thanks.

My two cents...

I just installed wild blue satellite (wildblue.com) at my house in the boonies. I don't have any cameras I am trying to view remotely at this point but I thought I would share my connection speeds.

I am using their package that offers 1.0Mbps down and 200Kbps up. I ran a speed test on DSL reports and got 970Kbps down and 175Kbps up. You do notice a little latency (500ms) when doing ping tests and surfing. Overall though, I have been quite impressed. They have a lower intitial cost than Direcway and their support was fairly good.

The do have a faster package available also. I'm sure a static IP is available too.

Thanks for the new name. I will do a search on them. Keep me informed if you get enough upload speed to be able to see a decent picture over the internet. I wonder if someone were to setup a remote DVR and really lowered the frame rate? Or somehow just to send a "snap" picture (once a second?)Would be interested in knowing.