Sign in to follow this  
csorts

Can I treble up the cat 5e for power to increase cable AWG ?

Hi everyone

I'm installing eyeball dome cameras with infra red with 270ma consumption when LEDs are on.

The average runs are 40 metres & I am using cat 5e to each camera. I am aware that the cat 5e is 24 AWG (0.21 mm), if I twist together the remaining three pairs of the cat5e for 12 volt dc power what would the cable AWG be ? I'm thinking 19 AWG (0.65 mm) ? Is it that simple ?

Thank you

CS

Hi everyone

I'm installing eyeball dome cameras with infra red with 270ma consumption when LEDs are on.

The average runs are 40 metres & I am using cat 5e to each camera. I am aware that the cat 5e is 24 AWG (0.21 mm), if I twist together the remaining three pairs of the cat5e for 12 volt dc power what would the cable AWG be ? I'm thinking 19 AWG (0.65 mm) ? Is it that simple ?

Thank you

CS

hi. yes that's fine

Thank you for your quick reply.

Just to confirm that by trebling up the three pairs of cat 5e would give me an approx. cable of 19 AWG ? The reason I ask this is because I now have one extra much longer run of cable to be run to a distance of 80 metres & hoped that the 19 AWG would handle that job.

I have shotgun CCTV cable with a pair of 1mm power cable which is an option that I can use.

Thank you

Hi using cat5 is fine for that distance no problem you could even run two cameras and still get the amps needed down the last two pairs 12 or 24v

For distance running over 100M, always recommend run 24VAC and use step down PC1A to 12VDC. You can run upto 300M without lose power.