Sign in to follow this  
ikw

rtsp// to HDMI

I have a Toshiba IK-WB16A-W installed monitoring a driveway that is not readily visible from my home and an alarm system that indicates when something or someone enters the driveway. What I would like to do is be able to see what the camera is seeing on the TV if the alarm sounds while we are watching TV. There are three HDMI ports on the TV and ideally if the alarm sounds I could quickly switch to one of the HDMI ports to view the driveway. This might seem frivolous but the nearest window to see at least part of the driveway is a floor away and on the opposite side of the house from the TV. Put that together with the fact we have quite a few false alarms due to wildlife (bears, deer etc.) crossing the driveway and cars using the driveway to turn around in since it the most convenient place to do so for some distance and you start looking for an easier way to check the driveway.

What I am looking for is a small inexpensive device that connects to the wired LAN and continuously converts the rtsp stream from the camera to HDMI. This would allow me to make a one button press to make the HDMI port it connects to on the TV active so I can view the camera's output. There would be no need to control the camera or otherwise interact with it so providing the video would be its only function. Is there such a beast available?

I have played a bit with an old 1st generation Apple TV that has been jail broken but it seems to go to sleep when it is not being actively used and it takes a number of steps to get it running again when you want it active. It would not be the one step process I am looking for. In addition it also generates a fair amount of heat so it is not the most energy efficient device in the world.

A mini Android device that connects to the HDMI port should do it. Something like this:

http://es.aliexpress.com/item/MK808B-bluetooth-android-mini-pc-new-Stable-Dual-core-RK3066-mini-pc-dual-core-Android-HDMI/764597463.html

Note that I have no idea if this one is good or bad, just found it on Google. I do have a couple of customers with devices like this one, connected to a TV working 24h/day, just showing cameras. Cheap, and way more energy eficient than a normal computer. Google for "android hdmi stick" or "android, hdmi dongle", or something like that.

If your camera has Android client, you can just leave it running there forever. If it must be RTSP, you can use some RTSP client, like VLC for Android.

I think that your Apple TV also should be able to do it, there is must be some way to avoid that it goes to sleep...