videoVIP

Streaming Video From a Fishing Boat?

I have a client who wants to stream live video from his charter fishing boat. The only problem is the boat is typically out-of-range of cellular/wi-fi networks when offshore (30km+).

Are there high-bandwidth satellite products (that aren't military grade & $$$)?

Yes you can get satellite uplinks which are for civilian use. Many people living out in the country use satellite links to get their internet.

I don't know where you are so I cant suggest any companies but I would suggest calling some of your internet service providers in your area and see if any offer internet via satellite links.

I should have mentioned however the latency time on the packets will be really high, and the upload speed likely very low, probably in around 64kb which means you will have a very hard time viewing any streaming video.

When you make your inquiries be sure to inquire about the uplink speed and try to get one as fast as possible as this will be a big factor in determining the quality of the video stream.

Thanks. I did check out some of the marine satellite providers and it isn't very fast (640k?), not to mention they charge by the MB/Minute!