beerstimber

How do I wire rs485 PTZ correctly for two controllers?

First post and hopefully won't get me laughed out of here. Think this is a fairly common issue for us newbies, but struggling to find an answer that makes sense to me with search.

Setup

2 x PTZ Cameras

1 x PTZ Controller

1 x DVR

I need to be able to use either the DVR or the PTZ to move the cameras so that the local user has a joystick and remote users can still move the cams. Wiring at the moment is 2 cores of RJ45 from cam to DVR, then two cores of RJ45 to the controller from DVR. Doing the connection at the DVR with a junction box to join the two RJ45's together before plugging into the box.

It works, but not right. Control would best be described as sluggish. Spoke to my supplier who said it should be either / or on the controllers, or the wiring needs to be different. Any advice on how to wire and any other parts required to do so would be much appreciated.

It might be easier for you to have the Controller, PTZ and a monitor all at a desk to configure before installing. This will keep you from climbing up and down a ladder to trouble shoot. What you will do when installing and running your twisted pair cable for the RS 485 is to Daisy Chain the RS485 from camera to camera all the way back to the PTZ controller. (+ to +) and (- to -) from one camera to the next camera till you get to the end of the line and put those into the + and - RS485 of the controller. When linking PTZ cameras together make sure to see if the last camera needs to have a JUMPER Pin or a DIP SWITCH selected. Read all of the componets manuals and you will know if you need to do this.

All of the fololowing information needs for the components to be compatible to work. 3 Very important things to have done already before installtaion

SET

ID; Now when configureing the cameras. You will do this independenlly each will need its own specific ID # an example is 001 for the first camera and the second camera will be ID # 002 and so on. This is uaslly done by a DIP SWITCH.

Baud rate of each camera will need to match your controller Ex; 2400 Baud, 9600 Buad or whatever it is just make sure all peices will are the same. This is ussually done by a DIP SWITCH

Protocol needs to be the same on all cameras and controller Examples are; Pelco-P or PELCO-D, HI-Sharp and many others; All peices will need to be the same. This is the language they will communcate with.

Hope this helps and good luck,

Johnny

Thanks for the advice Johnny,

I have been doing my testing in the office rather than up high, deffo the sensible option.

Noticed I didn't mention before that so far I had only wired with one cam for testing. Think the issue is more down to wiring with the two controllers rather than the IDs, protocols and baud rates.

Good advice on checking whether they have a last cam setting, will get the manual out again.