swastiknath

wireless transmission over 3g Dongle

hello everyone,

I am from India and am new to this forum and also a newbee to cctv system.

I would like to set up CCTV system at my farmhouse which i could monitor from my residence.

the problem is there is not wired internet facility there.

-so i would like to know if its possible over 3g dongle?

does it have a static IP facility ?

-how much data does a 4 channel dvr consume per month so that i can decide the package for the dongle.

also can you please suggest which type of camera should i go for.

i had contacted GUNEBOW but the quote they sent is too expensive and they didn't mention any details either.

can you please suggest a decent 4 channel dvr with which i can monitor online.

regards,

swastik.

-so i would like to know if its possible over 3g dongle?

does it have a static IP facility ?

-how much data does a 4 channel dvr consume per month so that i can decide the package for the dongle.

- It is possible. Some DVRs support given 3G USB dongles; all DVRs support 3G routers (which connect to the DVR with RJ45 cable).

- You do not need static IP; in fact, at least in Spain I doubt it is possible to get a static IP for a 3G connection.

- That will depend on many factors; resolution, frames per second, bitrate, compression, ... and mainly, how many time you expect to remotely use the DVR each month.

hello,

thank you for your reply and valuable time.

i didnt know that static IP is not required . can you suggest how i can setup without the need of static IP using a USB dongle and a router. we have vodafone dongle and airtel dongle available here?

also can you pleas suggest any good DVR models that have 3g USB dongle support.

as i have cattle there , i would like to monitor regularly .. so i suppose the usage will be lot.

regards,

swastik.

i didnt know that static IP is not required . can you suggest how i can setup without the need of static IP using a USB dongle and a router. we have vodafone dongle and airtel dongle available here?

You need a "dynamic DNS", google it, or check out http://www.dyn.com

also can you pleas suggest any good DVR models that have 3g USB dongle support.

Can't help there, sorry. While I have used some DVRs that support some USB dongles, I have never used with USB/3G. Keep in mind that each 3G USB dongle is different, and the same way that it would need a driver to use it on a computer, it needs a "driver" to use it on a DVR. And of course, you can not install a driver on a DVR, so you have to get a DVR that supports a given 3G dongle, and it will not work with just any dongle.

So I have just used 3G routers, last one I have been using is this one. I like it because it is powered with 5V, so I just power it from a USB port on the DVR (keep in mind even this router does not work with just ANY USB dongle).

http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/?model=TL-MR3020

i could help you out with this, just mail me where exactly your farm house is located, i deal with cctv's and all other electronic security devices. mail me on nidhish.shah3@yahoo.com

Thank you for the advice on DDNS DVR, Mindtwist.

I have tested it with Autocop DVR.

It says it supports Dynamic Dns.

I registered on Dyndns.org and used the Wizard to complete the setup process.

I got my friend to test it from another PC on different Internet connection and it worked.

I configured the DVR as mentioned to the site to update the Dynamic IP every time the ISP updates it.

but once the IP changes the dvr is not updating the IP to Dyndns.org..

I am stuck there..

I was told there will be an option even in the Router to do that.

I am using a dlink dir-300 and dir 505 router.

will try to diagnose the problem and will let you know if i come up with a solution.

Thanks once again for the support

regards,

swastik.

swastik,

That is a common problem. The DVR does not check constantly for their public IP, so it might take a while before it updates the dyndns domain after the public IP has changed. Whenever possible, you should install the dyndns client on the router, which will notice right away when the public IP has changed, and so it will update the dyndns domain.

With DVRs, it really depends on the brand. Some might check every x minutes (one hour maybe), but I remember old models that only checked at boot up; that meant that if the public IP changed, the dyndns domain would only get updated after reseting the DVR.

I am not sure about India, but here in the UK, I had a customer who wanted to use a 3G dongle instead of getting an internet landline, and it was rubbish. It had slow transmission. She also complained that after a certain amount of days, the transmission got so bad, there was no signal. This was due to the mobile network company limiting her internet connection, as she was classed as a high user.

Hi,

I am trying to accomplish this also in Chicago Illinois. The DVR is an Everfocus ECOR264. Have tried many things. Everfocus has DDNS built in. It is relatively easy to get to work on a land line ethernet connection. The DVR only needs port 80 open. This is where my problem seems to come from.

Just spent the last couple days trying to get a static IP data card from AT&T. All the reps say that they have the cards but nobody can get it to happen and they never have had a customer that got one.

Going to try Verizon. Verizon has a one time fee of $500 to get a Static IP card. It is getting to be my last option having tried almost everything else.

Anyone connect their DVR to the internet via cellular?

Don C

We do this all the time and we are Verizon M2M partners.

You are correct you will need to pay a one time fee of $500 for the account setup at Verizon if you want a publicly routable static IP address.

If you don't what to pay the $500 fee you will not be able to connect to your DVR without setting up a VPN.

Sprint also has static IP addresses on their LTE network and I think they are still charging a $5 per month fee for the static IP

Found a way to get static IP data cell card without spending the $500 up front.

3G store will sell you a monthly contract from Millenicom. $50 setup fee, $99 a month for a Verizon static IP card with a 20 GB monthly limit. That's a monthly contract not yearly or two year.

There is another way. You need a Dedicated PC and what I would call easy VPN. The app iteleport works with ios, android, Mac, and PC. The app iteleport links you to your computer through a gmail account. I know it works with regular cellular. Your computer can always be found with iteleport because you connect your computer to your gmail account by staying logged in to your gmail. It can need to be reset once in a while by restarting the computer. The open ports on your DVR are not a problem because your PC is communicating with the DVR on the LAN.

One more way is with a slingbox. In this situation the slingbox is getting the video from the DVR through the actual video connection. No ports to worry about here either. Everything can connect to a slingbox over cellular. It has been a couple years since I used this method but there was a way (experimental) to control the DVR like you would your TV by mapping your DVR remote control

. Unless your DVR is high def you are better with an older slingbox that doesn't have high def. The one caveat with that was that the older slingboxes might get left behind by the newer slingbox software. Don't know the details of this anymore. Slingbox forum could help you find all of this out.

Used to use both of these methods on the iPhone 2. It was really great when the ipad came out. By the time iPhone 4s came out the DVR manufacturers were making apps for their machines. BUT and this is a big BUT, now your need to be able to open the necessary ports because you are connecting directly to the DVR. This is what you do with port forwarding. Dumb name port forwarding. I get it, but port opening would be an easier definition for a new user.

Anyway, then comes the dilemma. How to open ports on a cellular connection? You can't. I have read a person or two claim they were able to and you can count on this like rain in the desert.

Here it is in a nutshell. Get the live video out of the DVR with SOMETHING and communicate over cellular with that SOMETHING instead of the DVR. What can a cellular app run over the cell connection? A computer, a slingbox or other streaming device. Is there something else? Robert Chou might have an android something. Have to look that up.

Thanks and good luck

Don