silkie

How many video signals in one cat5?

Hi all. This is my first post here. I'm a little new with this stuff, but have a question. Tried searching but didn't turn up much. My situation is this:

For my boss, I need to mount 8 cams in a building, and then run all the video signals over to another building approx. 200 ft away where the 8 channel DVR and monitor is. There will already be a 12v power supply in the building with the cams. My plan was to run siamese from all the cams to a central location inside that building where the 12v will be, and then switch over with passive baluns and run the 8 video feeds through 2 cat5's (4 cam feeds per cat5). Will that work? Can you run 4 video signals in 1 cat5? Or will you have interference/crosstalk? Thanks in advance for the help!

You could use one UTP cable for 4 video signals, yes. But if you have 8 cameras on that building, maybe you could just install a DVR on that building, and then just use one UTP for network connection to that DVR.

Thanks for the responses guys. As for the DVR, they need to have it located in the first building, for security reasons. So unfortunately it has to be remote from where the cams are actually gonna be. And due to the length btw the buildings, I was really hoping to get away with only running 2 cat5's as opposed to 8 rg-59's...

Thanks for the responses guys. As for the DVR, they need to have it located in the first building, for security reasons. So unfortunately it has to be remote from where the cams are actually gonna be. And due to the length btw the buildings, I was really hoping to get away with only running 2 cat5's as opposed to 8 rg-59's...

You can do so. If possible, I would run 3 cables, so you will have 4 extra pairs in case one of the cables/pairs goes bad.

You can buy CAT5 in 25 pair or just use 10 pair telephone cable.

likie