NVSCtech

3 wire and 4 wire for power and video

Hi, Thank you in advance for the help!

On an existing installation the video on one of the cameras was going all white and then black. When I pulled the ball of power and video cables apart I found some splices. There was a short circuit somewhere because after using terminal blocks the camera that was going all white and then black was back except that it had some rolling white blur lines. My main question is on the wiring for 2 of the cameras:

Camera 1: The video and power was spliced into a 3 wire cable (Green / Red / Silver braid). How is this done to send the video and power? Is it safe?

(My Guess)

------> Green <---- 12 V +

------> Red <---- 12 V - & Video White

------> Silver Braid <---- Video Copper

Camera 2: The video and power was spliced into a 4 wire cable (White/Yellow/Orange/Copper). The diagram below shows what I saw but the copper cable had detached so I'm not sure where it was connected originally. Again, how? Is it safe?

On the diagram below the Video Copper was spliced direct to the 12 V-

-----> Orange <-------------- 12 V +

-----> Yellow --| |<----12 V -

-----> White --| --both to --> Video White |

-----> Copper <---?? |<---Video Copper

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated. I would like to know how this was actually working.

Rip it all out and start again, analyzing the problems will probably take longer than a fresh install, would be easier and probably be a whole lot neater.

There probably isn't any logic behind the existing wiring or you would have it sorted by now.