Sign in to follow this  
PropstotheGast

New guy needs help.....of course!

Hi there,

I am having a problem between a ptz camera and a cheap "hi-speed ptz controller" The camera powers on, rotates to self test, and shows its id as 001.

The controller lights up with a red 01 on the led.

The combination tested out ok on my desk before I connected the longer lines and ran it to its outside location. But now I get no response from the ptz controls.

The camera has picture...the only wierdness there is that the screen says zoom x1....which I dont remember from before. Other than checking the +/_ terminals, which I have, I cannot think of any trouble shooting to do on the controller to test if it is bad. It is set to pelco-d on the dip switches.

I cannot access any dip switches on the camera, but like i said, i had control and zoom while it was connected on my desk....and I dont see any damage to the line and the other feeds.....power and video...to the camera are fine, so I cannot imagine that there would be a single damaged conductor inside the cat 5 (exterior grade)

Any thoughts would be appreciated, I may just order another controller and see if that fixes the problem.

Re boot the PTZ and make a mote of the settings when rebooted camera number Baud rate and protocol.

Then double check these are the same settings in your DVR or control board or both and I am willing to bet the probable one is that the wrong camera number has been selected somehow and is set to the wrong camera number.

I sometimes make this error on my PTZ keyboard and instead of selecting a preset I hit the camera number then nothing works. I usually set the camera number back to no1 (I only have one PTZ at home) and it restores normal working.

I've done that several times.... I am almost convinced that either the controller is bad somehow or that I dont know how to use it....or that the "zoom x1" status in the middle of the camera screen means its somehow in a mode that isnt ready to listen. Powering it off doesnt change the "zoom x1" status....

Following the instructions... [cam#] - [cam] - [on] doesnt do anything currently. And now i am second guessing my memory of which buttons I used to get to it working the first time.

I appreciate your time, with the amount of time i can spend on this (its a favor for someone) I probably wont figure it out and hopefully a new controller solves it...

New controller fixed the problem.... I really hope the zoom x1 doesnt record to the DVR, that will upset them...but hey, free cctv installation comes with compromises right?

Thanks again.