abdelm01

Point to Point Wireless

This is for you Network Guys out here.

Guys I've had some issues in the past with point to point wireless where i could not find the right product nor get the bandwidth right. Now i need to put a system up at a ranch, here are the specs:

Will be installing 3 sets of camera on 3 different buildings but 2 of the building will not have a network for connectivity because they are barns that hold horses etc.

From the main house to each barn is around half a mile. I need to install cameras on each building but will have a NVR at each location for local recording, but would need to access the NVR remotely.

I need a good wireless system that you have used and seen from experience that works great. Each building will have around 5 cameras on the barns, so you could say a minimum of 30MBPS to be transferred through that one access point/bridge. SO i just need a good recommendation of a point to point system that you know is worth the money. I have used some cheaper ones but no good outcome.

Thanks

Check out the Cambium epmp1000 units. I have used them for similar applications like yours with excellent results.

This is for you Network Guys out here.

Guys I've had some issues in the past with point to point wireless where i could not find the right product nor get the bandwidth right. Now i need to put a system up at a ranch, here are the specs:

Will be installing 3 sets of camera on 3 different buildings but 2 of the building will not have a network for connectivity because they are barns that hold horses etc.

From the main house to each barn is around half a mile. I need to install cameras on each building but will have a NVR at each location for local recording, but would need to access the NVR remotely.

I need a good wireless system that you have used and seen from experience that works great. Each building will have around 5 cameras on the barns, so you could say a minimum of 30MBPS to be transferred through that one access point/bridge. SO i just need a good recommendation of a point to point system that you know is worth the money. I have used some cheaper ones but no good outcome.

Thanks

Ubiquiti Nanostation M5 if you are a tech savvy individual. There is no customer support but there is a great knowledge base and a good forum. If you want support you can go with Engenius equipment for similar pricing.

On either the Ubiquiti or Cambium products (I use both, and either would work in your application), if you are using 5GHz models (which are preferable for more channel choices, and less interference from consumer products), you need to have a clear line of sight between points.

At half a mile, the Nanostations will work, but the Nanobeam models would give you a little better signal strength, and a tighter beam pattern to reject noise from other directions.

Although Ubiquiti does not have direct tech support, their forum and wiki are great resources for information. A basic PtP bridge example is here- http://wiki.ubnt.com/BeansTalk_Point_to_Point_PtP_Layer-2_Bridge_Direct.

One detail not covered there is the signal strength and channel adjustments, you will want to try to get the signal level close to -50 (lower number here is a stronger signal, but past -50 can overload the receiver).

If you are doing two separate bridges, get the AP's at least five feet apart, if you can, to avoid interference between them. If you are using the 40MHz channel width, try to use channels at least 60MHz apart from each other.

I frequently use 30MHz channels. Although there is less bandwidth available in theory, it often outperforms 40MHz channel width in real-world applications. Either channel width will get you over your 50Mbps target rate.