benleow

How to know when someone cut the cable of my IP cameras?

Hi,

This is how I setup my video surveilance system in my house.

- I'm using POE IP Camera (without WiFi).

- The video is recorded directly to my NAS (without NVR).

- The cable is exposed.

My concern is, how do I know when someone cut the cable of my IP cameras?

Once the cable is cut, the camera will loss power and network. Nothing will work. So, I guess only external service can alert me when the network is down.

Any ideas/suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Most NVR/VMS systems have a "camera disconnect" event that you use to trigger alerts or emails.

Thanks for your reply. Yes. I am aware of this feature in NVR. However, I am not using any NVR because the IP camera itself is quite capable to act as an NVR once it is paired with my Synology NAS.

Since my NAS is on 24/7, I am wondering can I use my NAS to monitor the IP cameras uptime/downtime. Once it is down, the NAS can send me an alert via email.

+1 to the wireguys

As the camera lacks the capability to tell you once the wire is cut, it means another device or process to do it.

The only out of the box solution I'm aware of at a lower cost is an NVR. Other solutions are more enterprise-based hardware or VMS solutions or homegrown-PC on your network running a process.

Of the out-of-the-box NAS boxes (WD/Seagate/Buffalo/etc.) I'm not aware of any that do this.

What are you talking about? Just set camera disconnect alert on your Synology as you said you used one?

I dont believe op is using SS on synology, he is simply using it as a storage server.

I am sorry I don't know the name of the product, but there are programs that will PING an address and send an alert whenever it does not get a response. That could be used for any network device.

I am sorry I don't know the name of the product, but there are programs that will PING an address and send an alert whenever it does not get a response. That could be used for any network device.

Google Host Monitoring

What are you talking about? Just set camera disconnect alert on your Synology as you said you used one?

I dont believe op is using SS on synology, he is simply using it as a storage server.

benleow, simply install and configure Synology surveillance station

benleow, simply install and configure Synology surveillance station

Its not simple...there is a fee for more than two cameras (or more than 1 depending on the model)...there is also the fact that the units are limited to low frame rates with multiple high res cameras. For example the popular consumer DS215j maxes at 60fps for 3mp recordings...so if you have 8 cameras you are limited to 7.5 fps.