hazim

USB Mouse Control at 120m

Dear,

I have a screen installed 120m far from the DVR. Audio and video are connected between the DVR and screen using 2 coaxial cables. We still need to control the DVR (which doesn't have remote control) through mouse, and we have an existing 4x1mm (maybe 4x0.5mm) cable, not a UTP cable.

We tried to use this cable as USB extension but USB doesn't work at such distance. We tried 5V adapter to supply voltage for the mouse at the mouse/screen side as there would be a voltage loss through the 120m cable, this didn't work too. We also tried to connect each two lines in the cable together to double the thickness and used them as data lines of the USB and powered the mouse using the adapter, this didn't work too.

There are IR extenders through existing coaxial video cable, but not sure the maximum distance possible with these units. If this works we would change the DVR with another with remote control.

The main problem is that we can't connect any other cable. We should find a solution using the existing cables, and it is much better to control through USB mouse.

Any suggestions or help are appreciated.

Regards,

Hazim

If you're stuck with using a USB mouse then a USB repeater (not extender) is what you may need.

See http://usbandfirewirecables.blogspot.co.uk/2008/07/what-are-differences-between-usb.html for an explanation, but when you look at their linked pages with repeaters http://www.usbfirewire.com/urepeaters.html (down the bottom), you will see they are quite expensive for simply extending one mouse. They may be cheaper elsewhere.

I would look at the option of using an RS485 keyboard to control the DVR if possible.

Dear,

Thanks for your reply, but how to control the DVR and go to menu or playback or open specific camera using the PTZ keyboard?

I'll admit, I don't have experience of generic joystick/keyboards that are available, or the claims made by the manufacturers. Many simply operate PTZ cameras, although some claim to operate certain models of DVRs: http://www.amazon.com/Joystick-control-cameras-supports-products/dp/B00NQ8SYJW%3F

A good/matching/compatible keyboard offers a range of keys compatible with the DVR, such as menu, enter, and directional buttons for menus; stop, play, pause, jog control for playback; control of the main and spot/call monitor with a display button, numeric keys to call a specific camera and maybe a sequence or auto function to run through the screens. If it supports PTZ then it will have a joystick, zoom, focus and iris control and preset and/or tour/cruise/patrol options.

The best option is to see if your DVR supports a keyboard that the manufacturer produces or recommends.

Are you looking for a KVM extender? that would have to be run over cat 5 but you should be able to get the distance you want. an KVM over IP would allow controls anywhere on your network. It may be worth the money to install the cat5 as that would give you a complete solution.

I don't know why I didn't think of that!... I totally agree, and found cheap KVMs with USB Keyboard and Mouse for about £20!