TheNightowl

PTZ control on 1 cam only through DVR

I have a Zmodo DVR with one generic PTZ camera. I can control it through the OSD or my smart phone. I went ahead and bought a PTZ controller because I was about to buy another PTZ camera. Hooked up the controller and everything is fine. When I got the additional PTZ, I hooked it to the controller and both control just fine. But I can't control it by the OSD or phone? I went to settings in the Zmodo and made sure it was not on the same channel, and checked what else I could, but it will not control. If I click that camera on the OSD and try to move it, it moves the original one instead? I'm beating my head against the wall at this point and need some help if possible? It may be something pretty lame that I'm missing.

Hi. Can you remove the controller and run both PTZs from back of dvr and see if you then have control over both

Did just that and it still only controls #1 when I try the #2. That makes no sense because I select #2 on screen and it brings that cam up in full screen, then I try to control it. It should not be controlling #1 unless this budget dvr is wacko and that would not surprise me a bit.

Then I connected #2 by itself and it won't control it. Both cams are the same except #2 is a 100x zoom that was sent in error. It was supposed to be 30x

Is it possible the wire size is causing the problem? #1 is 20 gauge and #2 is 24 gauge because I couldn't find any 20g anywhere in town.

The dip switches in the cams should be set fine because the controller works them both? Problem is I don't remember how I set them but the controller screen has the same baud rate for both.

Settings

Cam#1 is channel 01, address 001, onscreen channel 5

pelco-d

2400 baud

stop bit 1

data bit 8

parity no

Cam #2 is channel 02, address 002, onscreen channel 3

pelco-d

2400 baud

stop bit 1

data bit 8

parity no

OK, so I went up and checked the dip switches on ptz #2.

8 channel dips. First dip= off, 2nd dip= on, the rest are off. Meaning its on channel 2

4 Baud dips. First dip= on and the rest are off meaning 2400 baud rate.

Went to ptz# 1

8 channel dips. First dip= on, and the rest are off. Meaning its on channel 1

4 Baud dips. First dip= on and the rest are off meaning 2400 baud rate.

Still can not operate the ptz# 2 by onscreen display or phone app but both work on the joystick.

The DVR Manufacturer is no help at all and they won't even reply to my email or on their forum

Does anyone know what the readings on the rs485 pairs should be while in motion? Meaning the resistance. Voltage wise I get 4+- volts at full pan/tilt/zoom at the DVR and joystick but no help to test at the cams to see if its dropping at ptz# 2.

Anyone here anymore?

Today I went up the ladder again and switched address's on the 2 cameras. I can now control the problem camera but now the one I could control before is the problem. So I now know it's not the camera and IS the DVR.

anyone know how to test the output from the DVR to that specific address?

I had this problems years ago. The controller joystick is the culprit. If you unplug the joystick you should be able to control the PTZ via OSD and smartphone.

If you plug in the joystick you lost control of the PTZ via smartphone and client software OSD. I ended up replacing the joystick with Pelco KBD300A and everything works.

Good Luck!

Phil