abrogard

Lost My Camera's IP - Help?

My (dahua) IP cam was working fine. POE via 4 port POE switch to the router.

Then I unplugged it from the switch and plugged it into a NVR for a while.

Then I unplugged it from there and plugged it back into the switch.

And found it was gone.

Can't find it in contacam or Blue Iris or from a web browser.

That IP no longer exists, it seems.

The router perhaps can see it - there is an ethernet device listed as connected but it has no further information for me - no IP of course.

But i think that's probably it.

I am surprised. I thought the IP was fixed in these cameras once you've set them up. Apparently not.

What can I do to sort this out?

use an app to find all the attached devices geovison has one for their products and many other mfgs do too.

they should find any compatible device that is attached to the local network. when you find your camera make sure that the IP address is set to fixed or static not DHCP.

yep, thanks. tried dahua's config tool and their smart pss and contacam and blue iris.... and the router list of attached devices...

nothing...

Probably when you plugged the camera directly into the NVR if was given an address on a completely different network, which is why nothing on your network can see it. I don't know if Dahua IP cams have an external factory reset switch, but, if so, that's might be what you need to do.

It might be the NVR gave it a dynamic IP address with a long lease, in which case your camera will eventually ask for a new address on your LAN. No way to know how long that will be. Could be quite some while.

I haven't revisited that problem in a long time.  For the last year or so its just been working away plugged into the NVR.  I'm just about to look at the whole thing again because I think I heard that PSS now allows remote viewing of what's hooked to your NVR?

So yes, I've used Wireshark with some success but I learned it doesn't always work. Can't remember why.

The NVR certainly does give a new IP.  I knew that.  But I expected it to keep it and me to be able to find it because I know it (the IP).  But I couldn't.

When we say the NVR gives an IP do we mean the NVR or the router it is plugged into? 

How does traffic directed to the router find its way to the individual cameras plugged into the NVR?

A NAT on the NVR?