towersites

Wireless video links

I am in charge of a legacy video network that is comprised of a number of analog cameras at several locations many miles apart. Each camera feeds a Pelco Net300T, the ethernet output from that is transported through 5.8 GHz radios to a central location where all of the incoming ethernet streams are routed to Pelco Net300R's, the converted video then goes to a DVR along with a number of local cameras.

This setup was put together more than 12 years ago and worked well for a long time, but recently I have had more and more issues with the Pelco equipment not connecting. A further issue with the Pelco units is I can no longer program them. Unlike 12 years ago there are now many more choices of video conversion products from a number of suppliers, it's clearly now time to replace the Pelco stuff, my question is, does anyone have a recommendation for video encoders & decoders that have been proven to work reliably over a wireless network?

Instead of switching out encoder / decoders, I think it is time to change out the analog cameras and replace them with IP. Those IP cameras can be directly carried by the existing 5.8 GHz digital system eliminating the need for your existing analog to digital and back again conversion. Thus removing another piece of gear in the chain.

If you want to keep the analog cameras, I would strongly suggest the Axis brand of encoders and decoders.

Thanks, I think your suggestion of going to IP based cameras is a good one. However, at the receiving end of the radio links, what should I use to convert the incoming IP based video to analog video for inputting to my existing DVR's?

If your still using an analog video DVR, it's past time to upgrade that too. The improvement in picture quality is going to blow you away once you get analog out of the picture (no pun intended). There are many IP base software programs that will run on Windows or Linux based computers. I prefer Digital Watchdog Spectrum software installed on a Windows machine. However I'm sure there are other's just as good.