Thermocline

One camera, Two controllers ??

Hi

I’m using my laptop to control my ptz camera using an RS485 (2 wire) adapter. It works fine. I also would like to use the RS485 signal from my dvr to control the camera (also works fine in isolation) . From what I read it seems that all I should need to do is parallel the + and - wires. Unfortunately only one of the controllers works under these conditions. The laptop is ok but the dvr does not work. I’m assuming that one of the controllers is blocking the signal from the other.

Is there a way round this ?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately accessing the dvr from the laptop would work but the dvr’s PTZ system is pretty basic. I wanted to use the laptop to control some extra functions on the camera, like the wiper for example. I don’t think I can program the dvr for the extra functions. Ultimately my plan was to get a cheap ptz controller with a joystick but I just wanted to check the operation first.

Is the idea of paralleling the + and - valid ?

My other idea was to use an Arduino to take commands from both controllers and output only one set of commands. I might do away with the ptz controller and use the Arduino to generate the codes I need. Meantime I’m stuck with dvr dvr and the laptop.

Thanks