rory

fiber, cat5 or coax

what do you think is the best quality (yeah i know fiber) yet still affordable?

Which do you prefer? Do you hire sub contractors to install fiber, do you install cat5 and if so what products do you use (receivers, patch panels, etc), what do YOU do, for the neatest, best quality, video runs??

im here listening

Rory

what do you think is the best quality (yeah i know fiber) yet still affordable?

Which do you prefer? Do you hire sub contractors to install fiber, do you install cat5 and if so what products do you use (receivers, patch panels, etc), what do YOU do, for the neatest, best quality, video runs??

im here listening

Rory

If you want to run fiber, the main problem seems to be termination. I use a product made by Corning. it's called cam lock or something like that. It uses premade ends. I do all my own fiber intalls now. It seriously takes less than five minutes to do a termination and it's perfect everytime.

I get asked to do fiber installs all the time now.

Zyra Tech, can you post some link or something more specific on those "cam lock" things. Do you still have to polish and all that?

tia

1/ It wont be perfect every time, but it does not need to be with Fibre!!

Fibre is definately the way to go... ;lets face it, it will all move to I.P cams, we ALL know that, and what is going to be needed (at least for some time) is boocoo bandwdth, you see to transmit one camera at 12Fps at 4 cif in mpeg4 is roughly 200kbps, now imagine 16 of them, of course there are network iP solutions that support local recording options, and YES I know that eventually there will be flash ram big enough, it is far too expensive.

so to record at 50 FPS on 10 cams is 5fps,, that equates to roughly 800Kbps per camera @ 4 CIF so x 10cams and recording for 30 days you will need 1.6 terrabytes on average Mpeg4 and you would need 8000Kbps upstream to watch it all at once and that is at 12fps, so Bandwidth will laways be the issue, my advice, Run fibre, learn to splice and be prepared!!

Cat 5, and absolutely best baluns made and variety is NVT. Nothing but good results with these guys and a very informative web site.

www.nvt.com

Agree, NVT products are really good, but most our clients in Poland find our products better and less expensive than NVT's If you are interested please visit http://www.polvision.com.pl. We've been selling our products in Poland for couple years with very good feedback and starting with IFSEC 2005 we plan to expand our business to foreign countries. So watch out NVT

--

Tomasz Polus, Polvision

tomek@polvision.com.pl

fiber, like $8,000 for the cheapest one on this side ..the nodes etc, or are you just meaning the cable itself .. the cable does nothing though without the nodes etc, right?

gosh you pay insane prices, you just need sender and reciever cans.. GE sells them here for around $100US I think been ages since I did single cans.. usually mux the stuff first, and usually only on larger jobs but as you can see with the cable being cheaper, you can almost use the cans and havea similar price..bet you will start to see these built into cams soon, lets face it not many PTZ's out there that dont have this option!

yeah, i dont understand it much,.. its the GE book price ...sure its around the same as what you guys pay, just in aussie dollars I did hear computer fiber products were much cheaper though ... sure thats not what you are thinking about ..? Retail Prices.

EDIT: this is the book price for a single channel, i was thinking of 8 channels or something:

246D1K-R/1B49 MM Video, 2-Way Audio & Data, Rx, Can. $1600 (RETAIL)

250DL-R/1BX3 MM 16-CH Contact/TTL Data, Rx, Can $1200 (Retail)

S737DVT-RST MM 16-CH Video & 2-Way MPD Data, Digitally Processed, Tx, Rack $14,000 (RETAIL)

Dont know what any of this means though??!

Still alot more than the price of using Cat5 or Coax ..