Sign in to follow this  
rory

PTZ Control & Video

if using a NVT-862R active receiver, with passive TX, what do I need to get the control through? Can I join all together and just input them into the DVR? Its not my job, just helping with it, looks like they have a connector/box of sought, with all joined into it, then it goes as 1 pair into the DVR. Video is seperate all together.

Basically their problem is they have Baluns with distances over 1000', and video is either there or very bad, due to to far for passive baluns. Thats why we are upgrading to active.

Thanks

Rory

Rory,

What is the maximum distance for the CAT5e cable that you want to use? I know that the NVT passive baluns confirmed capability is 750' (this is according to NVT spec sheets) even though you may be able to stretch more then that. We have been using passive baluns with built in surge protectors (something that NVT charges arm and leg) from a different manufacturer for over 3 years. We easaly stretch the cables to at least 1,500' with no loss of the signal. Some of my co-workers stated that they were able to stretch the cables close to 1,700' and still were able to get a solid signal and no loss of quality of the picture. Here is what we used and still do today http://www.securitysupplyhouse.com/viblco1.html and it is much more cost effective than NVT passive baluns.

Levon

I have a client that used passive baluns and over 1200; his signal was messed up on several cameras, a couple managed to push more than that.

But the only reason I really use them is even with Coax or UTP/CAT5 you always loose video quality with the longer the run, even over 100' you loose quality. The Amplified gives you perfect quality as far as you want to go.

RG59 is cheaper for me than Cat5 so I only ever sell the Active if I need it. Agreed NVT are very expensive, though they are guranteed to work.

Ill check that link you sent in a little while ..writing some code right now..

Rory

Rory,

This balun does work with no problems at least 1,500'. What is very interesting is that it also comes with surge protectors to shunt down any electrical or environment noises that do and will distort the video signal...

In the last few years, we droped usage of coax substantlly and mosty using CAT5. You can call it cost reduction or simplicity, but it works great for us. We primaraly use similar equipment from American Fiber and it is more cost effective and does the job better. We used NVT for many years and constantly battling with a lot of technical nonsense, which they never wanted to face. With American Fiber Tech and Video Baluns, we achieved better performance than ever.

Thanks,

Levon

Yes, but you still loose video quality with anything over 100' without amplification (eg. Active).

Rory,

I am sure you ment to say 1,000', but I willl totally disagree. Seeing working with most of the passive baluns introduced in this market in the last at least 10 years, this one delivers the goods and the quality of the picture is as good at 1,500' as it is at 750' using NVT baluns.... This is not an opinion rather a a fact... The manufacturer is http://www.videobaluns.com/ based in Boston and so far, they are producing the most cost effective and yet the best passive baluns in the industry or at least I should say, in U.S....

Thanks,

Levon