Hi,

I need some advice regarding our setup... and the best way to upgrade it.

Here is some background info.

We have 3 stores/locations. Each store had 1 or 2 standalone DVRs each with 16 channels. One location has 1 DVR with 16 channels, and other two has 2 DVRS with 16 channels each (so a total of 32 cameras). These location have each DVR outputting to a separate TV (one for each dvr). We use the same DVRs and they all record at D1 (ithink 7 fps).

We want to upgrade our systems and these are the reasons why:

1) The pictures from pulled from these DVRs/Cameras are not clear enough. We need to be able to see the persons face and at least the type of car they are driving.

2) It is too difficult to pull footage. When an incident occurs and we have to pull video for the detectives it is a pain.

3) Networking all 3 locations is very difficult. It is difficult to access our cameras from somewhere else. We also want to link all 3 locations into 1 CMS program. Basically, so the owners can monitor all 3 locations from home. Each individual dvr can be at their respective location, we just want to be able to access them all from outside.

4) Must be able to output on to at least 2 tvs for real time viewing from the storefront. So employees can monitor in real time.

5) Must be stable

6) Must be easy to upgrade... if we add another location we want to run the same setup and easily tie it back into the current/upgrade system.

7) It is difficult to backup in case of hardware failure.

The main reasons are the reasons for upgrading, but also the most important points we need for the new setup.

Although we would like to keep the original rg59 cables, if it makes sense we are willing to re-run new lines (cat5/6 or whatever it may be).

So, what is the best system at the moment that may address these issues? The top 3 are very important... clear picture of suspect, easy to review tape, and network all systems into 1 central location.

I've been hearing a lot about IP cameras... I imagine networking being more easily but hows the picture quality and setup process?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thank you!

IP cameras are certainly an option, but you could also look at HD-SDI if you are happy with your current locations. It will save you install time since you have the cable in place. In either situation, it would be very easy to network all of this together so you can see any store from anywhere... even you house.

Are you planning to do all of this work yourself of hire a company?

Where are you located?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

How does video quality compare between IP and HD-SDI?

I recently heard that some existing RG59 cables might not work with HD-SDI... is this correct? If we don't this would be a great option. But if we do have run new lines anyways which one is better?

Thanks!

PS. We are located in Nashville, TN.

Budget would be a huge factor in any decision you make. IP cameras will give you resolution you need but at a cost. I've worked with a few VMS systems at work, but I prefer Avigilon which is why I use it at home now. It is more than capable of doing all of the things on your list and then some. It is very easy to install and set up and extremely easy to use. The quality of the Avigilon cameras is excellent and the pricing is reasonable. I am using hikvision 3MP cameras at home which are less expensive than the Avigilon ones and still do a great job and integrate well into the existing system. Avigilon also has encoders which can take up to 4 Analog cameras so you could start with any existing analog cameras and then migrate to IP cameras over time as budget permits. I do not sell Avigilon or any other VMS or camera equipment so this is not a sales pitch, just my opinion based on my experience.

Cheers.

It would not likely be a good idea to take old cabling and re-use it when it's usually not that hard to use the old coax to pull new wire, especially when you are going to make a big investment. SDI is OK, but limited to certain cameras and certain resolutions, so not as flexible as IP and with IP, you can connect directly to the camera without having to go through the DVR/NVR. Also, Cat5 is way cheaper than Siamese coax cable and easier to pull as it's not as rigid.

For you top 3, modern day IP cameras are way clearer than you can imagine compared to analog, especially old analog. You can probably do with less cameras given the resolution.

As for pulling footage, I use Milestone XProtect software and to me it's pretty simple, I go to the playback tab, find the video I want by scrubbing a timeline, then left click to set the start/end points on the timeline and click export. I can export from one camera or several. The export can be in generic format like avi or it can be in it's own format and includes the player in the zip file. I can also zoom in the image during playback by drawing a box around the section of video and when I export it, it shows the zoomed in. When you have more pixels than your monitor can display, this comes in very handy at highlighting a suspect.

As for network, can't do that better than on PCs. I can view cameras from multiple servers in one layout. Of course you have to limit yourself to what internet bandwidth you have or if the locations are close enough, a few miles and have clear line of site, use wireless bridges for a private network.

To output to two TVs, that's easy as most PC's now have HDMI output and you can get a box that allows you to display the same HDMI feed to multiple TVs.

As for stable, I have a few projects with Milestone, no stability issues. I use PC's meant to be servers, not home PC's and that helps with long term reliability as they use better components, larger fans, more drive bays.

For backups, we use Milestone Express or Pro and that allows for each camera to write to two disks, they call that archiving. But you can also backup a PC using various methods, pretty standard stuff.

As far as which cameras, there's a good assortment of brands depending on budget, how much support you'll need. For example, Dahua and Hikvision make very good cameras for very low prices but may not have a high level of service and support. ACTi to me has good support and reasonable prices, maybe more than Dahua or Hikvision but not terribly more. Axis is my go to higher end brand, costs about twice what ACTi costs but has better image quality and also has good service and support.

If you are looking into POS integration, mostly to display cash register receipts on the camera pointed at the register to check for employee theft, that may affect NVR or software choices. I'm looking into a camera that should be available soon that will have POS integration built into the camera, very cool.

Budget would be a huge factor in any decision you make. IP cameras will give you resolution you need but at a cost. I've worked with a few VMS systems at work, but I prefer Avigilon which is why I use it at home now. It is more than capable of doing all of the things on your list and then some. It is very easy to install and set up and extremely easy to use. The quality of the Avigilon cameras is excellent and the pricing is reasonable. I am using hikvision 3MP cameras at home which are less expensive than the Avigilon ones and still do a great job and integrate well into the existing system. Avigilon also has encoders which can take up to 4 Analog cameras so you could start with any existing analog cameras and then migrate to IP cameras over time as budget permits. I do not sell Avigilon or any other VMS or camera equipment so this is not a sales pitch, just my opinion based on my experience.

Cheers.

Hi,

Thanks for your advice. I've reviewed Avigilon's site and they appear to offer a wide selection of hardware to suite our needs. However, there are no prices and I can't get a response via their contact form.

How did you get your Avigilon setup? Is there a online store, or does it have to come from a distributor/sales rep?

Thanks!

Cheers.

Hi,

Thanks for your advice. I've reviewed Avigilon's site and they appear to offer a wide selection of hardware to suite our needs. However, there are no prices and I can't get a response via their contact form.

How did you get your Avigilon setup? Is there a online store, or does it have to come from a distributor/sales rep?

Thanks!

Dealers only.

Where are you located?

mytheory,

sounds like you'll be making a good size investment in your surveillance upgrade and its great your doing your research on the best solution that fits your needs. I could only add that maybe reach out to a dealer of either vms solution mentioned in the thread and ask for a demonstration or reach out directly to one of the vendors listed for a sales rep to visit and conduct a demo.

Also, be aware of all licensing, support and software upgrade costs from either vendor.

Avigilon's reps can be found here

http://avigilon.com/sales-locator/

We do a ton of Avigilon and use Hikvision a lot with Avigilon. If you need pricing or product info feel free to PM me.

If you are on a budget it is very hard to beat the combo of Avigilon ACC VMS software with Hikvision cameras. One thing people overlook when they thinking about CCTV is the ability to search and export video.

Edited by Guest

You didn't mention what your budget is. If you're really certain you have good condition RG-59 coax installed already, not the premade plug and play cable, you can consider HD-CVI as well. The dvr's are less expensive than HD-SDI, as is the cameras. They have 4, 8, and 16 channel units now, although I only see 720p for the 16 channel units thus far. But even 720p can suffice. But if you're going to install all new cable, pull cat5 for an IP system. Dahua systems are readily available and via PSS software, any location can be combined for single or multiple groups.

Dahua's HDCVI is a interesting option but keep in mind it is a proprietary technology with limited camera choices. Buy the equipment now and who knows what options (if any) will be available next year.

Also you can't purchase Dahua branded products in the US. You would have to go with one of the many rebranding resellers.

hi dears ,its my first post here.i bought 2 pcs of Pro NVRs of dahua while some of my cameras is pixord P600E.and they cant support onvif.i need a "GENERAL" option in "manufacture" to select it instead of onvif or privet .please help me and say how can i add them.i need updated firmware for them.

IMAG0527.thumb.jpg.58b67be080cd5ad021cde40c813c3f49.jpg

IMAG0528.thumb.jpg.7ce2fd2a4cf373c6aab943fd7b03aa9e.jpg