JeffWasHere

POE voltage drops.. bad cable?

Hey everyone

Well im having a little trouble with the length of my cable runs i guess. I have a couple ip cameras that need 6v at the device, and i use to have them run on 100' cheap cheap ebay cat5e that disintegrated where exposed to the sun, using a TP-LINK TL-SG1008P for the POE, and the cameras worked fine on what seemed to be maybe 26 gauge cat5e that wasnt even solid wire.

So I got some much heftier CAT5E 24 AWG Waterproof Outdoor Direct Burial UTP Solid LAN Network Cable that seems a much thicker wire and solid, plus all the outside protection. Now i can barely get the cameras to come on with 75' cable runs. I have tested my terminations. IRs are coming on but no signal is all i get at the dvr. I thought the thicker gauge wire would be better for not loosing voltage...?

Any ideas on what i should try here? Is there a certain cat5e or 6 cable anyone would recommend? I do need it to be weather proof.

Any help is much appreciated and Happy Thanksgiving!

Jeff

Hey and thanks! I just used a cheap little tester like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-RJ45-RJ11-Cat5-Cat6-Cable-Network-LAN-Cable-Tester-/221281648853?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33856a00d5

I didnt exactly follow the color coding of 568b but they are all connected to the same pin on each end. I have other cameras running on shorter 50' runs that i have terminated the same ways and have no problems..

I didnt exactly follow the color coding of 568b

That says allot - how about trying to follow the standard exactly, and see what difference it makes.

My guess is it will make a difference.

As I said - post up some pics of each end.

Ditto. You can't just make up your own wiring, there's specific twists in the cable pairs and you can get away with it on a 6' test cable, but not a longer cable. As for voltage drop on PoE, the 48VDC coming out of the switch is expected to lose a few volts on a 100m cable and that's acceptable and your camera should work that with that loss.

Ahhh thanks guys.. Ill re-terminate them when i get to work tomorrow and see what happens.. Total rookie here lol.. Guess the first few times i did it was on cheap untwisted cable and i just made sure they lined up right and it worked.. so i assumed it was ok as long as the colors and pins matched.

lol i should change the topic title to "No POE voltage drop... bad installer!"

Thanks again guys...

Jeff