VPSrider

Triggerd record on Avigilon with Axis cameras

I am wondering if someone with Avigilon and Axis experieance could help me.

I have some Axis cameras that am using with Avigilon. I am not happy with the camera motion record so am trying to setup Avigilon to record on camera input trigger and use external motion sensing.

To test I am using a simple PIR to trigger the input on the camera which is working. I can setup an event in the camera to record on this trigger but this seems to be to SD card or network share only. I see in Avigilon there is a Digital Input and Output button but only for the Avigilon cameras. I can not figure out how to send Avigilon the command to record from the camera.

If anyone has success with this and could help I would be most greatful.

Thanks

That's one of the shortcomings of Avigilon, they don't publish a URL command manual, so you don't know if it's even possible to send an URL string to the Avigilon to start record. You may be able to call support but I was not successful with getting this out of their support. If you do, please let us know. If you had this, then yes, Axis has the ability to send an URL command on a triggered event.

The other way is with the NVR software. I know with Milestone XProtect, I can have a camera record based on another camera's hardware events. We use Milestone with Avigilon and Axis.

Brilliant. So what you are saying is run alarm out off the Axis to alarm in on the Avigilon. Set the Axis to trigger alarm out on the event, and set the Avigilon to trigger recording from alarm in.

Thanks for the help

I first tried the idea ssmith10pn suggested but the axis cameras do not list a digital input, only the Avigilon cameras show a check box and "Digital Input 1".

The Axis cameras model number is P1347. I do not know how they are connecting other then they do not show up as ONVIF. All I did to add them to ACC was search the IP range and give ACC the login and password. They show up in the connected camera window as AXIS not AXIS (ONVIF). Ironically the Avigilon cameras show up as Avigilon (ONVIF) and I am not sure if that is correct or not either, that is next to figure out.

Thanks.

Thanks for the help

I first tried the idea ssmith10pn suggested but the axis cameras do not list a digital input, only the Avigilon cameras show a check box and "Digital Input 1".

The Axis cameras model number is P1347. I do not know how they are connecting other then they do not show up as ONVIF. All I did to add them to ACC was search the IP range and give ACC the login and password. They show up in the connected camera window as AXIS not AXIS (ONVIF). Ironically the Avigilon cameras show up as Avigilon (ONVIF) and I am not sure if that is correct or not either, that is next to figure out.

Thanks.

I have feeling you camera cannot do what you want

I/O on this camera is for hardware only

from manual

Digital output — For connecting external devices such as relays and LEDs. Connected devices can be activated by

the VAPIX® Application Programming Interface, output buttons on the Live View page or by an Action Rule. The

output will show as active (shown under System Options > Ports & Devices) if the alarm device is activated.

• Digital input — An alarm input for connecting devices that can toggle between an open and closed circuit, for

example: PIRs, door/window contacts, glass break detectors, etc. When a signal is received the state changes and

the input becomes active (shown under System Options > Ports & Devices).

------------------------------------------------------------

Ports & Devices

I/O Ports

The Axis product provides one input port and one output port for connection of external devices. For information on how to

connect external devices, see Connectors, on page 6 .

The I/O ports are configured under System Options > Ports & Devices > I/O Ports. The ports can be given descriptive names and their

Normal states can be configured as Open circuit or Grounded circuit.

Port Status

The list on the System Options > Ports & Devices > Port Status page shows the status of the product’s input and output ports.

You can tie the input into any camera. It doesn't have to be the same camera you want to record.

We have emergency call boxes with alarm outputs. We tie those into the easiest camera to get to inside the building and then tell the PTZ outside to swing around to the call box when someone hits the button on the call box.

In fact the Axis Q6042 PTZs do not have an alarm input so we either use another camera in the building or a Axis P8221 I/O Audio box.

I don't have an Axis camera on my personal system at this time. But I just logged into a system that had an Axis P1204. I did find it odd the I/O for the Axis camera was not listed in the Digital Input list.

That was a 4.12 system.

I don't have an Axis camera on my personal system at this time. But I just logged into a system that had an Axis P1204. I did find it odd the I/O for the Axis camera was not listed in the Digital Input list.

That was a 4.12 system.

I have only seen I/O for cameras connected via ONVIF (other then Avigilon)

Your other option is to get a MOXA network I/O unit and use that for the trigger interface.

I haven't had luck connecting these cameras with ONVIF either. I will try again this morning. These are all latest firmware for the camera 5.40.9.2.

I did have the same thought of using one of the Avigilon cameras input to trigger the axis cameras to record. I have enough Avigilon cameras around the property to do this if it works.

My thought was:

Mount the PIR in the location we need for the Axis camera to record.

Connect the PIR cable to the Avigilon camera and configure ACC to record the Axis camera when the input of the Avigilon camera is triggered.

In the past I have done this with two other NVR's without issue but am brand new with Avigilon.

Mike,

I haven't had any luck getting Axis to authenticate with the ONVIF driver.

I think they have a ONVIF user setup that you need to do to get them to connect. it's been awhile.

Verify your PIR dry output is normally open and goes closed when It sees motion. Sometimes the labels on the PIR's are wrong because some of them go by when the PIR is powered off and some go by when it's powered on.

Update:

Still no luck connecting with onvif. You are correct there is an ONVIF user and I have set that I also confirmed the ONVIF is activated on the camera. I do wonder if I should be using a different port for ONVIF discovery but google hasn't found an onvif port for the Axis camera yet so I could be off base there.

The PIR is normally open and confirmed with a meter. When connected to the Axis camera the input is showing active when the PIR is tripped. I am also able to record to a network share right from the camera when the PIR is tripped.

I think using another camera to trigger the axis cameras to record maybe easier at this point if I can get that going.

I am temped to contact Avigilon support as we do hold an Enterprise license, though I am unsure of there willingness to help trouble shoot a third party camera install.

Thanks

Well I found an old P3301 laying around,

Upgraded to the latest firmware.

Found this under system options.

264986_1.jpg

Did a time sink and it still wont connect via Onvif.

Says user name and password incorrect.

Two things. Make sure the camera is time sync'd using the same NTP server.

But for us, we had no option but to disable HTTP replay protection on all AXIS cameras. It's on by default and far, far too sensitive to be workable.

Simon

Silverstar Analytics

Cloud VMS for retailers & logistics