Sign in to follow this  
Pr0t0c01

GeoVision Fisheyes - Which Mount?

Hey, this is my first post on here, although I've read through some discussions over the years.

I've got 3 GV-FER12203 to install in a food distribution warehouse. The building is almost as tall as you'd see in a Sam's club type of environment and we wanted to cut down on some of the blind spots in these "lanes". At least one of these cameras will be going into the freezer section which gets down to -20*F, which is one of the reasons we went with the 12203 and not it's younger and cheaper 5mp brother (not that much cheaper).

I'm curious though, it seem that anything short of a ceiling mounted pole would be wasting the majority of your fisheye view-able area, which just seems wrong. I can't think of too many times where I'd want to put a fisheye wall mounted, or pendant style mounted. Correct me if I'm wrong on this please as I'm feeling a bit confused at why those are options. I suppose a wall mounted, tilt capable mount could make sense so long as you aren't getting too much of the ceiling or wall in view.

The other issue is that these will be mounted in the center of isles and I'm concerned with whether this would also limit their field of view. The one going into the freezer has shelves coming up to about 4-5 feet from the ceiling. There are 3 rows of in the freezer, about 30 feet long at most, 10 foot wide. I can provide pictures/videos if needed.

A bit new to fisheye lens and want to make sure I get the most out of them while not wasting their ability. I'm not sure if some of these would be better suited outside covering the loading docks, ect. Any advice or tips for fisheye would be greatly appreciated.

this may be a simplistic answer but if you can get a camera a lift and a laptop get up on a lift and see what image you get. We had a portable power source for the camera and set up lots of cameras this way. Charts and such give you a good idea but nothing beats actually seeing the image in the exact lighting conditions etc.

Yeah, I recall doing this before hand, just running a POE cable up to them for testing.

What sort of sucks with this camera is that you have to take the cover off to plug a cable in you don't plan to keep connected. Even removing the crimping rubber grommet that the Cat5e runs into, doesn't let you fit an RJ45 end through it. So you have to crimp the ends on with the cable ran through.