chanyickwai

Developing an IP Camera viewer based on SDK

I am wondering what knowledges and skills are required if I want to develop a viewer for ip cameras? Will you have any resource could be shared?

Of course, I am not gonna develop one for sales, but just thinking of through this practice, understand this part of works more.

tks, dove

Hi Dove,

A lot of manufacturers use .NET so you should have a look at using C# or VB. Microsoft's Visual Studio is a pretty easy way to build your own client app. Many manufacturers require using ActiveX controls. It's pretty easy to embed activeX controls using Visual Studio/.NET.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any specific links on this topic.

Best,

John

Hi Dove,

A lot of manufacturers use .NET so you should have a look at using C# or VB. Microsoft's Visual Studio is a pretty easy way to build your own client app. Many manufacturers require using ActiveX controls. It's pretty easy to embed activeX controls using Visual Studio/.NET.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any specific links on this topic.

Best,

John

Hi John,

Your info just good enough.

Thanks.

rgds, dove

gather all the SDKs from the manufacturers and then integrate them into a program which you develop

gather all the SDKs from the manufacturers and then integrate them into a program which you develop

then that must be a best-seller with all the powerful features!

SDK should include all the URL commands, Active-X controllers and the C++ code. You will need to understand all of them plus XML would be good.

SDK should include all the URL commands, Active-X controllers and the C++ code. You will need to understand all of them plus XML would be good.

Woudl you suggest any SDK that's a better start-point for self-study? e.g. with detailed documentation.

rgds, dove

Why go .net???

Built it in Java or X and take all the Mac and *nix market share!

I hate .Net and ActiveX if you couldn't tell. lol

I am not fan of .NET personally. Nevertheless, .NET is widely regardless as easier and faster to develop in them Java. Specifically, Winforms/WFP lets you build GUIs quickly and without extensive knowledge of the underlying class libraries.

Also, the majority of DVR players I know use .NET.

I see this as a matter of expediency not out of any personal approval of Microsoft, etc.

What? I know most cameras can be captured on linux based NVRs and I know they are not using .Net to do it.

Heck go get a copy of the Exaq server, notice the cygwin.dll in it's install directory. I can see them having some secrets in store.

Go download Axis SDK as it is a free download, you can use VB6 or many other languages with it, and others. So yep, dont need .Net or C++.

Thats a start

BTW chanyickwai, helps if you already know a programming language.

Why go .net???

Built it in Java or X and take all the Mac and *nix market share!

I hate .Net and ActiveX if you couldn't tell. lol

Collin,

I do like your idea.

However, having studies those material for a while, I found manufacturers do provide API on Microsoft platforms, e.g. Axis on MS C++, VB .Net, Imagia OCX, C, etc....

I guess Java is not impossible, but much more effort required to go into every nitty-gritty about the video streaming, and control to the remote camera probably impossible without the corresponding API developed by camera manufacturers.

Rgds, Dove

Since most proprietary SDKs can offer a lot more than a simple video stream. Btw, if anyone is interested, we have a plug-and-play(portable) beta app for DAHUA cameras, for use with a simple USB stick: plug the stick, run the app(all files required included), click on connect and there you go(not limited to number of channels or number of devices)! We added a motion detection tray balloon tip on them just for fun: click the tip and the camera goes full-screen.