Here is the latest results on Hikvision IP MP cameras evaluation...

Thus far 2MP minidome test is going great... the picture quality is exceptional and performance is very good... We used it with few different software titles and results were decent... What makes the difference is if the software has the drivers for this product and even more importantly, if it supports the H.264 version that this minidme streamlines..

Very easy to setup with switch supporting POE.. documentation is substandard and requires either tinker with the unit or to call their tech support for assistance. We are told that such documentation eventually will change, but for now it is useless...

The packaging is ok... mostly made of plastic. The outdoor version of the same minidome is better made with more aluminum casting..

Most tests were viewed with MPEG4 format, as most software that we tested does not support H.264. Only two of the software did recognize this minidome and confirmed that H.264 stream and the storage file size.

All in all we are very pleased with it... with sub-$500 price range for 2MP minidome does offer more functionality compared with other manufacturers offers...

The regular IP cameras are much cheaper.. but we have not tested them yet... According to Hikvision, they also have 4-ch encoder that converts analog video to H.264 stream and assign IP... should have a sample on hand soon for further testing. This encoder will provide better solution compared to other encoders if someone is interested in hybrid system by using existing analog cameras and add IP cameras.

Their analog cameras are priced very decent too... have various types and shapes of cameras... has anyone used them before and what do you think of Hikvision analog cameras?

The only concern is if it will survive within warranty period... and how will they handle the warranty related problems...

We will wait and see!

I am really shocked that hikviso products sold in China than in the price of overseas sales to more than double.

What are you saying? I cant understand this one?

JD

I can't speak for the quality of their IP cameras, but I am pleased with the quality of their DVR cards. That being said, I would have to say that their tech/customer support sucks at best. I have/had a dead port on one of the octopus cables that came with the card. Fortunately it was an easy fix as Hikvision refused to answer repeated request to purchase a new cable from them.

While I'm pleased with the quality of the DVR card, I simply refuse to buy from or support a company that neglects customer support issues. Having a company that stands behind their product and offers easy access to repair and/or replacement parts is paramount to me. If the powers to be at Hikvision feel it is more important to lose repeated purchases from potential customers because they feel it is beneath them to sell a $5 cable so be it. I will now avoid Hikvision products in the future and do my best to inform potential buyers to thread carefully when contemplating buying them. I'm done with Hikvision.

I am very pleased with the support so far, had 1 dead DVR card from them and due cost shipping vs. 1 tra cards next shipment I had one of the Hikvision sales persons bring it with her too China and when I had a short stopover in Beijing the card was waiting for me in the hotel reception and then it didnt cost me anything to have it repaired!

Analog cameras are way to high priced , I dont even bother to buy sample.

DVR cards are great!

Software is good minus, Geovision is good, havent seen any really good software yet!

Megapix IP cameras are good, have a HD720 video sample from Hikvision and it is very good, if I could upload a 35MB file here I would!

Hikvision have over 50% market share in China, the products is tested in CHina market before they start exporting.

JD

I am really shocked that hikviso products sold in China than in the price of overseas sales to more than double.

JD

i mean,the same model,in china,maybe cost 1000usd,but in usa or euro,less then 500usd.

JD

i mean,the same model,in china,maybe cost 1000usd,but in usa or euro,less then 500usd.

Well I am not sure about that, for instance the DS-4016HC card is about 20% lower priced then the DS-4016HCi where the i is for export!

When it comes to IP cameras I also find that the price is a bit lower in China then Europe/US. Also I think they changed their pricing system about a year ago since many small chinese companies with low support both cheap from Hikvision and then exported to Europe/US, but then didnt follow up the support part which over time would be a problem for Hikvision.

JD

China gets enough of my money. I will stick with Arecont and Exacq..... All made in America.

just for info

Soft made in Russia

Housing and lenses come from diff part of Asia

camera put together and tested at Arecont

China gets enough of my money. I will stick with Arecont and Exacq..... All made in America.

just for info

Soft made in Russia

Housing and lenses come from diff part of Asia

camera put together and tested at Arecont

They told us all R&D and manufacturing is done in the US. I know they don't make the lenses and housings.

Sorry to bump an old threads but I wanted to share that I just had an issue with Hikvision camera. Bought a hikvision from newegg for my home and had a very static image at night. I thought it was normal but when I installed a second camera in a different location and rotated them, I realized the camera was defective. I also had an issue one night when it didn't switch too IR mode. I called hikvision and they informed me products bought from newegg had no warranty. I checked their site and they have a lot of companies that they don't warranty.

I talked to newegg about it and they said, all their stock comes directly from hikvision.

I wish I could start over and buy from another manufacturer. This selective warranty thing doesn't fly with me. Warranty is to guarantee your quality not your dealer channel.

I checked the official distributors and you have to call sales to get a login to buy a camera. My guess is they represent the installers and companies and will screw the price for a retail customer.

You been suckered. Some resellers are honest, some try to mislead you. Yes, they get them from Hikvision, not the same as Hikvision USA, so they are warrantied by Hikvision in China, not Hikvision USA, but because it violates China's rules, you have zero warranty. I see this all the time on eBay, Amazon, they will say Hikvision USA but it's not.

Hikvision USA does not allows sales to resellers, only installers/integrators. If you buy from a reseller and it says Hikvision you can be assured its not Hikvision USA, they won't warranty it, they won't support you, you have to go back to the reseller and they have to warranty it.

even other manufacturer is like that...they offload the cost of tech support and warranty to the distributor/reseller. So do your research and make sure the reseller will support you.

It's a long list of companies carrying their equipment also.

Unauthorized North American Distributors include but are not limited to the following:

Aliexpress (http://www.aliexpress.com)

CCTVOne (Amazon Store, http://www.cctvone.com)

Gemini Computers (http://www.geminicomputersinc.com)

http://www.sears.com

http://www.survellient.net

http://www.syscom.com/www.epcom.net

wrightwoodsurveillance.com

Nelly's Security (http://www.nellyssecurity.com)

Newegg (http://www.newegg.com)

TechGeekShop (http://www.techgeekshop.com )

You been suckered. Some resellers are honest, some try to mislead you. Yes, they get them from Hikvision, not the same as Hikvision USA, so they are warrantied by Hikvision in China, not Hikvision USA, but because it violates China's rules, you have zero warranty. I see this all the time on eBay, Amazon, they will say Hikvision USA but it's not.

Hikvision USA does not allows sales to resellers, only installers/integrators. If you buy from a reseller and it says Hikvision you can be assured its not Hikvision USA, they won't warranty it, they won't support you, you have to go back to the reseller and they have to warranty it.

so where in the US, would you PERSONALLY buy these Hik cameras....

so where in the US, would you PERSONALLY buy these Hik cameras....

They have authorized dealers but may only sell to installers. If your buying hikvision I think I would go to aliexpress next time. Since you don't get a us warranty might as well buy direct from china.

I bought from AV Supply. You can find the link from the Hikvision site. Prices were not all that different that buying from China or unauthorized. I thought getting a warranty was worth it. I did buy some of the higher end cameras though. AV supply was very friendly.