cam2017

Can I connect DVR online to view camera away from home?

Hi, im a complete newbie so bear with me

We've had a DVR that has 4 cameras connected to it for over a year, I've recently saw similar setups but with the inclusion of being able to view the camera on a laptop or smartphone. Ive also seen seen simple "IP Cams" that have straight forward setup but id rather have my existing DVR setup.

I took a look behind my DVR and noticed a ethernet port and within the settings i saw "Network" settings, within those settings there were Network type, DNS and Port.

Ive seen cheap ethernet cables that'll reach from my router to my DVR but thought i'd check to see if it was possible first.

I cant see a make or model for the DVR cause it just says "4CH MPEG-4 DVR" on the front and the back says "4CH DVR/60-VD-B".

heres a picture

194401_1.jpg

194401_2.jpg

Is it possible?

I cant see a make or model for the DVR cause it just says "4CH MPEG-4 DVR" on the front and the back says "4CH DVR/60-VD-B".

hi you have a avtech DVR. all basic apps are free for your system.

you can find links here (on left hand side) EagleEyes is the name of the apps you need for iphone or android.

http://www.avtech.com.tw/ee_about.aspx

I did a quick skim read and it looks complicated

I'll be ordering a longer ethernet cable now I know it can be done.

Out of a mark out of 10, how hard would you say it to set up if a complete novice was to do it?

Edited by Guest

hi. the best thing is have a go. install your network cable (how long is your ethernet run ???)

look though some manuals and then if its not all clear you will get lots of help from the forum.

the avtech is a simple setup. what make is your router and who is your ISP (internet supplier)

i'll be ordering a 8m cable, the router is on the other side of the room as the DVR.

I have Virgin Media Superhub

I received my cable this morning so shall be attempting this later this evening.

I want to be able to view my cams on my iPhone or laptop away from home, would I still need to follow that video tutorial you posted as I think that way is only viewable whilst connected to your home network.

I've also downloaded the EagleEyes app.

Okay, so i've successfully connected locally through the program, IE & the EagleEyes app.

http://www.dvrsecuritylab.com/pages.php?pageid=9 (step 1 & 2)

I shall resume tomorrow and try to setup remote surveillance. The tutorial i'm followings says I should sign up to a free account with dynDNS but it seems to be charging now, can anyone recommend a alternative?

thanks

hi. you may not need to use a ddns service with using virgin. best just setting up without (saves problems)

i will PM you the instuctions on portforwarding for your hub.

Hi, thanks for the PM, I will try that tomorrow as its getting late.

Quick question...the guy in the video tutorial changes his "Server IP" & "Web Port" in the device list whilst the other tutorial keeps the default ones, does this matter?

Quick question...the guy in the video tutorial changes his "Server IP" & "Web Port" in the device list whilst the other tutorial keeps the default ones, does this matter?

hi. if you log onto your router example 192.168.1.1 then yes i would leave as default.

but if you log onto your router example 192.168.0.1 then yes you will have to change it.

port 80 you can leave as it is

The tutorial i'm followings says I should sign up to a free account with dynDNS but it seems to be charging now.

Hi Tomcctv, your recommended website is pretty good. However, as what Vijaygunners mentioned, nothing is free at all.

So, could you tell us where we can get free DDNS or how to deal with dyndns?

Thanks,

The tutorial i'm followings says I should sign up to a free account with dynDNS but it seems to be charging now.

Hi Tomcctv, your recommended website is pretty good. However, as what Vijaygunners mentioned, nothing is free at all.

So, could you tell us where we can get free DDNS or how to deal with dyndns?

Thanks,

hi. it depends on what part of the world your in. with having a place in uk and USA. internet is miles apart from each other in price and how your ISP operates.

UK. £15 a month ($7) gives us fast BB and the option to have a full static ip with either a 1 off charge (some £5 some £10) or some ISP giving it free. no stupid month charging for statics

USA well we get charged for everything and at a lot more

hi. if you log onto your router example 192.168.1.1 then yes i would leave as default.

but if you log onto your router example 192.168.0.1 then yes you will have to change it.

port 80 you can leave as it is

My router log on is 192.168.0.1 so I tried to change the "server IP" like it does in the video but I get this message..

194621_1.png

I did a quick search and found "the Super Hub’s administration interface does not provide an option to change your DNS settings", can I still do this then?

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&USERTYPE=1&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=345032

hi. you dont go into those settings at all. on your dvr go network and you will see your default ip 192.168.1.10 subnet 255.255.255.0 gateway 192.168.1.1.

you need to change these settings to.

subnet is the same 255.255.255.0

gatway 192.168.0.1

then put this into your router with the instructions i sent. (you will get the hang of it )

Ahhh I'm confused lol, I think I'll be able to do it though.

Does this sort out server IP problem I posted earlier (the screenshot I posted)? I'm not sure

Ahhh I'm confused lol, I think I'll be able to do it though.

Does this sort out server IP problem I posted earlier (the screenshot I posted)? I'm not sure

yes it will sort that out............... it was a fixed router command.

I went to Menu> Advanced> Network>

Network Type: DHCP

DNS: 168.095.001.xxx

PORT:0080

I then pressed enter on Network Type and got the following:

IP: 192.168.000.xxx

GATEWAY: 192.168.000.xxx

NETMASK: 255.255.255.xxx

I scrolled down to change some of these but im not sure on how to change them, the + & - does nothing.

(I put x incase I shouldnt be posting this info )

IP: 192.168.000.xxx

hi vijay. your getting there ...... the above ip is what you will now see in your router under services you just need to give it a port number.

on your dvr network you see your port as 0080 change this to 8080 thats your dvr settings done.

on your router your dvr ip needs a port assigned which is now 8080

Ok, so now the DVR looks like this:

Network Type: DHCP

DNS: 168.095.001.001

PORT:8080

IP: 192.168.000.008

GATEWAY: 192.168.000.001

NETMASK: 255.255.255.000

Under "wired devices" in my superhub the DVR's IP address is showing as 192.168.0.8

update...

I changed the DVR to STATIC mode as instructed in the guide.

This is what my router Port Forwarding page is like:

http://i46.tinypic.com/2604z2t.png

name: My DVR

start port: 8080

end port: 8080

local ip address: 192.168.0.8 (my DVR ip)

I opened up http://MYEXTERNALIP:8080 internet explorer and the DVR login page opened, I entered the default user/password but it then said "The requested URL was not found on this server "

any ideas?

Edit: 194694_1.jpg

I dont think ive done anything to DNS, does that need changing?