quick_pick

dyndns---two camera's on one account?

Hi

How do I set up my free dyndns account to where I can view two camera's from same account?

Thanks

[if ya can't pick it in under two minutes, drill it]

If with "two cameras" you mean having two hosts on a free account, you can't with the newer accounts.

With old dyndns free accounts you could have up to two hosts for free. If you still have one of the old accounts working, you can still create two hosts now, even when they changed their "rules".

If you make a new dyndns account now, you won't have the two free hosts. You need to make a trial account, and if you cancel the trial you will be able to keep one free host, but now two any more.

If you still have one of the old accounts working, you can still create two hosts now, even when they changed their "rules".

I do have an "old" account

My next question is about port numbers

If my existing camera is at address 192.xxx.x.x:8181, do I need to use 192.xxx.x.x:8282 for my next camera?

Can two camera's be on the same "port"?

Thanks

[if ya can't pick it in under two minutes, drill it]

If my existing camera is at address 192.xxx.x.x:8181, do I need to use 192.xxx.x.x:8282 for my next camera? 8182

Can two camera's be on the same "port"? No, not and go through a router/Firewall they can't.

Yes you should be able to use ANY dynamic DNS service to reach multiple hosts or cameras. Your router will have to be configured to redirect the appropriate port to the specific host/camera. Since you are using multiple hosts each one will have to be assigned different WAN port numbers to be reachable.

Your router configuration should look something like this. The below settings assume that inside your network cameras are reachable via port 80

Wan redirect port LAN IP

8080 ---------------80 192.1.1.1 camera 1

8081 ---------------80 192.1.1.2 camera 2

You are limited to about 60,000 cameras/port numbers with one dyndns name at one location asuming you use cameras with a single port per camera. Some cameras like ACTi require 3 ports per camera, so you can only have 20,000 cameras then per dyndns name.

So if you can live with that limitation you'll be OK.

Cool, but then why would anyone need more than one name? In what instance would you need say, five names or even two?

For a home user, or even a business, with just one resource running on their network there may not be a need for more than one hostname. But, that's not always the case. Here are some examples where I've used multiple hostnames for clients:

Multiple locations.

Multiple WAN IP addresses associated with the same Internet router/gateway.

Multiple resources remotely accessible via the Internet (like multiple DVRs) and want to differentiate between them using different hostnames (DVR1.xxxx.com DVR2.xxxx.com, etc.)

Creating a temporary hostname for guests or temporary employees that need remote access to resources on a network.

Cool, but then why would anyone need more than one name? In what instance would you need say, five names or even two?

I have two names, I know, I'm a greedy bastard. One is for my main house (6+ cameras), one is for our summer home (5 cameras).

Also, only have one device in your entire location update DDNS. For example, if your router supports it, that's the first choice, if that doesn't then just have 1 camera do it, not every camera, every PC. All it does is send an update to dyndns when your WAN ip address changes.

Actually this is my #1 blog post article on my blog, gets about 600 page views a week.

So if I had two dvr's I could use one host name and just use a different port for each? Like one would be mydvr.dyndns.tv;89 and one could be mydvr.dyndns.tv;91? And then just hit those addresses remotely? I could maybe point IP cams to that adress too, such as mydvr.dyndns.tv;97 and so on? The host name stays the same but the port extension is the thing that changes? I thought I'd have to have a separate host name for each device on an open port. I'd be glad to be wrong! I'd love one host name to do all the work. Easier for sure.

So if I had two dvr's I could use one host name and just use a different port for each? Like one would be mydvr.dyndns.tv;89 and one could be mydvr.dyndns.tv;91? And then just hit those addresses remotely? I could maybe point IP cams to that adress too, such as mydvr.dyndns.tv;97 and so on? The host name stays the same but the port extension is the thing that changes? I thought I'd have to have a separate host name for each device on an open port. I'd be glad to be wrong! I'd love one host name to do all the work. Easier for sure.

Yes. Just need to set the corresponding ports in the devices you want to access.

You can't have different hostnames using the same port number though, like mydvr1.dyndns.tv:89 and mydvr2.dyndns.tv:89. Each hostname would end up resolving to the same device.

Isn't learning something "new" fun? I think it is. I'm an information junkie and love learning, although these days its become difficult to keep up with everything - not just talking about CCTV, but technology in general.

I pay like 9.95 a year for my Dyndns account so I don't have any limitations.

BTW,

With a lot of routers you can't use port 8080 because it's the web interface for the router itself. Or just make sure you disable Remote administration on the router.

I went to the dyndns.com account and I could not find a free option. The cheapest is $20 per year. I only need it for one DVR. Am I missing it or do they charge now?

Thanks.

I went to the dyndns.com account and I could not find a free option. The cheapest is $20 per year. I only need it for one DVR. Am I missing it or do they charge now?

Thanks.

http://dyn.com/dns/dyndns-pro-free-trial/

Start the tiral, cancel within 14 days and you can keep one hostname free of charge.

Alternatively, many DVR manufacturers are offering free Dynamic DNS service built in to the DVR itself and there are other free services available. Just do a web search for something like free dynamic dns and you'll get many results.

Hi. I can see this thread is old - so hope those contributing are still on the forum.

I've had a slightly different - but related - issue I hope you can advise on.

I created two host names using DtDNS for use with two separate cams.

The cams are separately configured with the two host names and their web servers show both sign-in and authenticate their DtDNS accounts and hosts.

The router's DHCP assigns two separate internal IP addresses. One for each cam as you'd expect.

However, when accessing the cams externally, only one of the host names will resolve.

Both cameras are accessible by changing the port suffix - which the router opens on 8150 and 8151 - but only using one of the host names.

Attempting to use the other hostname for either port times out.

It's not a massive problem - but for ease of use and sharing, I'd like to use both host names.

Any ideas?