Dr3am

PoE Switch Recommendations for Dahua IP Cameras

Just wondering what PoE switch would you guys recommend for use with 3 Dahua IPC-HFW3200C and 2 IPC-HDB3200C? I'm looking for a 8 port with all ports PoE so 3 more cameras can be added in at a later time. Most of the ones I have seen online either only do 5 of the 8 ports or are 16 port that does 8 but the IPC-HFW3200C specs say they require 10w per port but the switch output was only 52w total. I am going to be using it on a Dahua Hybrid 16 channel analog + 8 channel IP @ 720p hybrid DVR. I found a switch from Ubiquiti Networks Tough Switch Pro 8 Port which has a 150w power supply with software control for how much wattage each port gets but don't know if it will work with Dahua cameras. I have used Ubiquiti AP's for all my WiFi setups and there products are great, easy to setup, and reliable. Here is a link to the spec sheet.

http://site.microcom.us/ts8pro.pdf

Thanks to all with input

I can say that my Dahua cameras use between 2500 and 4500mw each. So that tells me just about any POE switch will be fine since they draw very little power.

I like Zyxel switches. I personally use the 16 port (8 ports PoE), ES1100-16P that you can sometimes find on Newegg for $100. They do make an 8 port managed switch, ES2108PWR where all ports are PoE + an uplink gige port, but it's about twice the price. A managed switch will let you power the cameras down and up remotely in case one hangs. All their PoE switches are full power on each port, so if it says 8 PoE ports, they mean all 8 running at 15.4W. Also, their switches are 110V AC, not low voltage with a transformer which is nice, cleaner look.

The Dahua IPC-HFW3200C is a power pig, I don't believe it's 10W or the aggregate power on a Trendnet switch is wrong. I had 3 cameras on a their 4 PoE port switch and when the IR LEDs came on at night, the camera powered off.

I like Zyxel switches. I personally use the 16 port (8 ports PoE), ES1100-16P that you can sometimes find on Newegg for $100. They do make an 8 port managed switch, ES2108PWR where all ports are PoE + an uplink gige port, but it's about twice the price. A managed switch will let you power the cameras down and up remotely in case one hangs. All their PoE switches are full power on each port, so if it says 8 PoE ports, they mean all 8 running at 15.4W. Also, their switches are 110V AC, not low voltage with a transformer which is nice, cleaner look.

The Dahua IPC-HFW3200C is a power pig, I don't believe it's 10W or the aggregate power on a Trendnet switch is wrong. I had 3 cameras on a their 4 PoE port switch and when the IR LEDs came on at night, the camera powered off.

I am just going by what Dahua website states under there spec sheet on the IPC-HFW3200C camera. I have never used it before but I do not want to under power them and have them hang or turn off if all three cameras IR turn on at the same time since they will be pointed all at the same walk way. I will take a look at the Zyxel switches, seems like a good deal.

In my experience I believe the numbers I saw from the Cisco/linksys Webview GUI that showed the Dahua 3MP bullet and Dome both used between 3500 and 5500mw max, including while using IR. In addition to the router which had very detailed readings for each port, my kill-a-watt confirmed the readings.

In my experience I believe the numbers I saw from the Cisco/linksys Webview GUI that showed the Dahua 3MP bullet and Dome both used between 3500 and 5500mw max, including while using IR. In addition to the router which had very detailed readings for each port, my kill-a-watt confirmed the readings.

So I should expect about 6 max per camera with IR on? I know the indoor is 3 each I just want to make sure there is enough power cause I would rather have more power than not enough. Also I do not know what they want to add in later on but I would rather have enough reliable power even if they do not add more cameras or add 3+ MP cameras ans not have to change out the PoE switch.

I found a switch from Ubiquiti Networks Tough Switch Pro 8 Port which has a 150w power supply with software control for how much wattage each port gets but don't know if it will work with Dahua cameras. I have used Ubiquiti AP's for all my WiFi setups and there products are great, easy to setup, and reliable. Here is a link to the spec sheet.

http://site.microcom.us/ts8pro.pdf

Thanks to all with input

That looks pretty sweet if you use UBNT's silly 24 volt stuff. And why wouldn't you? It is great and cheap wireless. The only PITA is the non-standard POE. So looks like they figured it out. I really want to try one of these.

The ZxXEL switches are nice but larger than some of the others out there. I do agree the non-walwart power supply for ZyXEL is a big plus.

Yes, avoid Ubquiti if you don't want to burn our your cameras with the wrong voltage. Here'a a picture of an 8 port Trendnet (4 PoE, 30W aggregate max) vs. 16 port ZyXel (8 PoE, all full power). Yes, the ZyXel is bigger, but twice as many ports. To me it's way cleaner than when I had 3 Trendnet 8 port switches to handle 8 cameras.

poeswitches.jpg.1a92bfe71c08251235ca94671c5db828.jpg

I use this Cisco switch, great switch and I've never had to replace one as of yet. Managed feature is nice for remote power cycling and such if you need that function, plus remote switch rebooting. No back

http://www.amazon.com/Cisco-SF-302-08P-SRW208P-K9-NA-Managed/dp/B004496TFS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353096999&sr=8-1&keywords=cisco+302-08p

I use ZyXel switches for my 4 camera installations with no issues at all and they make a nice 8 port one also, but it's close enough in price to my Cisco that I stick with that one. My only wish with the Cisco is that it used a standard power cord like the ZyXel.

Razer, I get the passion for Cisco, a trusted name in commercial switches, but let me tell you why I didn't consider Cisco. The model you mention, a managed 8 port PoE switch has a 62.5W maximum, a problem I had with Trendnet is that I ran out of power before running out of ports and I was at best getting 3 cameras per 4 ports of PoE. ZyXel, when they say 8 ports of PoE, they mean 8 at the full 15.4W of power, where the Cisco would average only 7.75W or about half the power. If you have mostly IR cameras, at best you are pushing that number to it's max, in reality, many cameras exceed that number and all my cameras at the moment, indoors or out are IR. You start adding newer cameras that have motorized focus and focal length, maybe powered zoom, brighter IR LEDs and you start using audio in/out, alarm in/out and I could see power creeping to the point where 7.75W is not going to cut it.

The equivalent to the switch you have is the ZyXel ES2108PWR, managed 8 port switch with a gige uplink. Costs about the same price as the Cisco, but is full power PoE on all ports. I wish I could have bought the Cisco, but the 62.5W was the show stopper for me. I didn't buy that ZyXel switch becuase of costs, I cheaped out and got the unmanaged switch for less than half the price, but that's a personal choice.

I prefer & use Cisco enterprise class of switches. The Granularity of a fully managed switch is unbeatable. The 8 port WS-C3560-8PC model has 124Watt available, running each port at 15.4Watts. You can even hardcode the power rating per port to as shown below

CCTV-Switch(config)#interface FastEthernet0/2
CCTV-Switch(config-if)#power inline consumption ?
 <4000-15400>  milli-watts

CCTV-Switch#show power inline
Available:124.0(w)  Used:92.4(w)  Remaining:31.6(w)

Interface Admin  Oper       Power   Device              Class Max
                           (Watts)                            
--------- ------ ---------- ------- ------------------- ----- ----
Fa0/1     auto   on         15.4    Ieee PD             0     15.4 
Fa0/2     static off        15.4    n/a                 n/a   15.4 
Fa0/3     auto   on         15.4    Ieee PD             0     15.4 
Fa0/4     auto   on         15.4    Ieee PD             0     15.4 
Fa0/5     static off        15.4    n/a                 n/a   15.4 
Fa0/6     auto   on         15.4    Ieee PD             3     15.4 
Fa0/7     auto   off        0.0     n/a                 n/a   15.4 
Fa0/8     auto   off        0.0     n/a                 n/a   15.4 
CCTV-Switch#

Hey, we all would love commercial grade Cisco switches, but when someone asks for a switch for a Dahua camera, I'm not sure their budget for a switch is as high as the cost of all their cameras combined, LOL....

If anyone is interested in an enterprise level switch with POE on all ports, I have a couple of HP ProCurve that I will be selling for very reasonable price. These are the 48 port, 1U rack mount version.

HP ProCurve

2650-PWR

J8165A

The HP ProCurve Switch 2600 Series is a collection of low-cost, stackable, multi-layer, managed 50- or 26-port switches with 48 or 24 auto-sensing 10/100 ports and 2 dual-personality ports for 10/100/1000 or mini-GBIC connectivity. The HP Switch 2650-PWR is IEEE 802.3af compliant for Power over Ethernet and provides up to 15.4W per port.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/sm/WF06b/12136296-12136298-12136298-12136298-12136316-12136320-29584739.html?dnr=1

George M

HAHA - very true.

Yes, I have the IPC-HFW3200C and it uses 5500 mw max, at least in my setup

With IR on? The specs say 10W and I had issues with too many cameras on a Trendnet switch with the camera powering down when IR came on.

Razer, I get the passion for Cisco, a trusted name in commercial switches, but let me tell you why I didn't consider Cisco. The model you mention, a managed 8 port PoE switch has a 62.5W maximum, a problem I had with Trendnet is that I ran out of power before running out of ports and I was at best getting 3 cameras per 4 ports of PoE. ZyXel, when they say 8 ports of PoE, they mean 8 at the full 15.4W of power, where the Cisco would average only 7.75W or about half the power. If you have mostly IR cameras, at best you are pushing that number to it's max, in reality, many cameras exceed that number and all my cameras at the moment, indoors or out are IR. You start adding newer cameras that have motorized focus and focal length, maybe powered zoom, brighter IR LEDs and you start using audio in/out, alarm in/out and I could see power creeping to the point where 7.75W is not going to cut it.

The equivalent to the switch you have is the ZyXel ES2108PWR, managed 8 port switch with a gige uplink. Costs about the same price as the Cisco, but is full power PoE on all ports. I wish I could have bought the Cisco, but the 62.5W was the show stopper for me. I didn't buy that ZyXel switch becuase of costs, I cheaped out and got the unmanaged switch for less than half the price, but that's a personal choice.

I use all eight ports on my Cisco switches with no issues at all, but I know it is dependent on the cameras you are using. I use ACTi and Vivotek mostly and can use all eight with no troubles. That is usually 7 ACTi bullets like the 1111 and one 5611. If someone needs more power then Cisco makes the same switch but in a MP (Max Power) model that will work. But for that cost, then I'll be using the ZyXel too!

Buellwinkle:

I double checked my IPC-HFW3300C last night, and even in 24F weather it was using a max of about 5.5w.

I mispoke earlier on the model number, but they should be similar.

Dahua engineering did confirm that the 3300c uses more efficient LED's (though less bright) than the larger ones that are in the IPC-HDB3300. I don't one of those running in my home system so I can give a measurement.

Your point about enterprise cisco switches running dahua cameras is an excellent one, I for one would love a $5k switch and $10k cameras but if you are using 5 to 10 dahua's then a zytel or linksys switch will do you well.

I found excellent deals on ebay on used gear, so check there. Don't be afraid of switches w/out power supplies, you can buy a nice 150w 48VDC power supply for $35 or so. I have an extra one if anyone wants which Ill probably post shortly.

I don't know what happened then because I had three ACTi 1231 cameras and one Dahua HFW3200C on one Trendnet tpe-s44 switch and at night, when the IR came on, the Dahua stopped working. That's when I got fedup and got the Zyxel with full power. Could be the Trendnet switch was not up to it's stated rating of 30W for 4 ports.

Your point about enterprise cisco switches running dahua cameras is an excellent one, I for one would love a $5k switch and $10k cameras but if you are using 5 to 10 dahua's then a zytel or linksys switch will do you well.

I found excellent deals on ebay on used gear, so check there. Don't be afraid of switches w/out power supplies, you can buy a nice 150w 48VDC power supply for $35 or so. I have an extra one if anyone wants which Ill probably post shortly.

Yeah, I'm running an old Dell 3524P corporate switch that cost a little over $100 for 24 full power 100MB ports and 2 GB uplinks. This type of switch is not exactly user friendly - you update the bios over TFTP with a serial cable - and it sounds like a Harrier jump jet, but it's very robust, and I *never* run out of POE power.

That sounds identical to the cisco/linksys switch I have - 2 gig uplink ports which is great, and turbine-like fans that run regardless of temp LOL

I think I will go with the ZyXel ES2108PWR due to the fact that I will be running 4- IPC-HFW3200C and 2- IPC-HDB3200C with one of the IPC-HFW3200C will be also be connected to a external mic and it will also give them the option to add 2 more IP cams in the future with plenty of power left. Another plus is that I can remote reboot it if any problems occur will save me a trip to the property to do a simple thing. Thanks to all for there input.