kifaru

Hikvision DS-9632NI-ST my take

After adding 3 Axis P3364-LVE cameras to my Dahua NVR3216 I noticed the recorded & viewed video stream was choppy & stuttering terribly. I thought something was wrong with the NVR & in the process of troubleshooting I narrowed down the issue to the amount of video stream being sent to the NVR...in short there was a 24Mbps bandwidth cap in the Dahua 3216 NVR.

With the advent of 1080p+ cameras there are few NVRs that could do over 4 1080p cameras at full frame rate. The NVR series went straight from the 4 channel consumer class to the multichannel enterprise class devices, with no devices in the mid-range. You either had a choice of the existing NVRs that either supported 4 1080 cameras or an enterprise class NVR that supports 64+ cameras.

During my search for an new NVR I looked at Synology, Nuuo, Qnap. I even called the folks at NVR systems to build me a custom NVR PC. Fortunately or unfortunately I was not too eager for another 4U rack chassis, since I currently have 2 other 4U PCs/Server hosting all my other media.

While talking to the folks at NVR systems they suggested that I should first reduce the resolution & frame rate off all the cameras until the video 'problem' went away. I did this & saw the video issue clearing up. However the Dahua cameras maintained better video even with reduced resolution, all 3rd party cameras video stuttered terribly. I settled on a very low frame rate per second resolution on all cameras which was unacceptable to me. I still needed to add more cameras for surveillance & figured I needed a better solution than reducing camera frame-rate to make it 'fit' the current NVR.

After doing some research, I came across the DH-SVR3016H, but I know Dahua takes forever to release products once they posted as new on their website. I settled on the Dahua NVR6XXX series, but could not get a reseller here in the US. I then discovered Hikvision 9600 NVR. I noticed that among all the NVR manufacturers only Hikvision actually posted the maximum supported bandwidth for their 9600 NVR(80Mbps).

The NVR is 3 times bigger than the Dahua 3216. It Support 8 sata drives up to 4TB each. I currently have 6 drives mounted in it & assigned to 3 groups with 2 cameras each assigned per hard drive. video is written to 3 drives, while the other 3 drives are set to 'redundancy', which means a copy of the 3 main drives is also copied to the 3 redundant drives.

I currently have a 50 & 100ft vga cable run connecting 2 TVs to the NVR,as well as a 50ft USB cable run for the mouse. This allows me to view NVR playback from multiple rooms.

I currently have 7 cameras connected & intend to add more soon. The NVR has been holding up well as I add more cameras. If you keep your cameras resolution to the Hikvision recommended settings then you will get very good video results as you add more cameras.

http://www.hikvision.com/en/us/support_more.asp?id=217

3 PIRs are connected to the input ports & 4 LED strobe lights to the output ports. When motion is detected the strobe lights light up & the cameras in that region take multiple 5sec snapshots & send me an email.

I need to run some duct work to exhaust the cabinet housing the NVR

The unit is pretty loud & I ended up sound proofing the cabinet that houses the unit & UPS. The one thing I did not like is the alarm input & outputs. They are tiny & it took me 2+ hrs trying to wire those tiny ports without the cables slipping out every so often.

Overall this is a pretty good NVR & yes it is pricey. It is pretty much 3 times the price of the Dahua 3216 NVR.

That is surely one nice piece of equipment... We carry Hikvision NVRs, but I still have not had a customer ask me for a 9632 unit. You must surely have a nice install at home!

I've asked the below questions (in blue) to Hikvision and got the answers in red. But it seems odd that I cannot mirror to an eSATA HDD.

Although the answer form Hikvision says I must use an internal HDD for mirror recording I Know that it is possible to do what I want with other brands - Conceptronic NVR C8CHIPSKIT Manual says:

"Record Mode

External HDD Mode

Click to select one of the following:

Extended REC: NVR recording data into internal HDD first, when it record to 100%, it’ll record to external HDD.

Mirror: NVR recording data into both internal and external HDD at the same time."

Does anyone with a Hikvision NVR supporting RAID1 know the answer to my questions?

1) When recording to an eSATA HDD, that would be located in a hidden place, do I need to have an internal HDD, or can the NVR work only connected to the eSATA HDD?

For security reasons; you need to have add it inside of the recorder an HDD and 1 E-SATA interface for high speed backup

So, the only purpose for eSATA is Backup?

2) If using a NVR that supports RAID1, can the mirror footage be in the eSATA HDD, or does it have to be in another internal HDD?

Internal HDD

Thank you.