jdoggg1

SWANN 1080p costco bullets - flash hikvision firmware?

Any success stories on doing this? Any issues?

I was considering doing it because the firmware version on the SWANN version doesn't seem to allow dual streaming... only high quality or low quality, but not both at the same time. (It'd also be nice to get a free jump to the 3MP capabilities too)

i flashed the raptor firmware onto my costco swann bullet, no issues, my test camera has been up and running for about a week now.

camera retains its model number and everything, just that the logos change to hikvision.

i flashed the raptor firmware onto my costco swann bullet, no issues, my test camera has been up and running for about a week now.

camera retains its model number and everything, just that the logos change to hikvision.

Does it offer the higher resolution and dual streaming with that flash?

Does it offer the higher resolution and dual streaming with that flash?

i noticed the selection of the higher resolution available, i never looked into dual streaming, i know it can atleast handle multiple connections ok, i've logged directly into it, and through my synology to view it, and it works fine in that respect.

I have also flashed DS-2CD2032-I and DS-2CD2132-I with the latest Hikvision firmware with no issues. I got the latest firm with a few changes, and also the Hikvision logo is now on top, where before I just had an empty space.

Is there a way to disable the IR LEDs with the Hikvision firmware? I don't see it in the Swann 4.0xxxx firmware

Is there a way to disable the IR LEDs with the Hikvision firmware? I don't see it in the Swann 4.0xxxx firmware

I think I was able to disable the IR LEDs with the Swann camera by changing it to 'Day' mode instead of 'Auto' or 'Night' in the imaging section.

This does turn off the IR LEDs, but it also puts the IR filter in, so you can't use it with external IR illumination.

I just received a Hikvision DS-2CD2032-I (mfg. date 6/2013) with the 5.0.0 firmware and it has several useful features and settings that the two Costco/Swann v4xxx (mfg. 5/2013) didn't have so I tried flashing both the Swanns with the 5.0.0 firmware. One of them upgraded within a couple of minutes but the other one hung. Now I have a bricked Swann that I can't log into (Network Abnormal after slow loading the login page) and I can't see it with the Hikvision SADP software. The other Swann that took the upgrade has far fewer image and IR settings than the Hik has and the automatic white balance setting is completely gone...strictly manual white balance now. Also, the Advanced Configuration page/Network is messed up...the graphic is misaligned as far as the IPv6 settings are concerned, but I could still make those settings with the SADP software if I had to.

Bottom line is that, in my experience, a Swann flashed with Hikvision firmware is a crippled duck (sorry!) If you want a Hik, buy a Hik, because a Swann with Hik firmware is very much less than a Hik with Hik firmware. Obviously, from the reports of others who have had success doing this, YMMV. When I got the Hik and saw the features that the Swann does not have, I knew that the Swanns were going back to Costco anyway, so I took a chance and lost.

EDIT: I'll post some pics when I get back from Costco...

EDIT2: Yes, the "3MP" resolution is there, but as others have already widely reported it is a misnomer and not true 3MP on either the Hik or the Swann. Essentially it is a scaling thing with some unknown interpolation that changes the view from a 16:9 to a 4:3 format, which could be handy if you need the additional vertical image space.

The Swann will be identical to the Hik if the flash takes correctly, unless they've changed something recently.

When I first flashed a Swann to 5.0.0, it was missing items in the white balance area, as well as other stuff. At one point, after both the camera and PC had been turned off, it prompted me to reload the webcomponents file, and everything was OK after that.

Try powering down the camera and restarting the PC. If that doesn't work, delete the webcomponents folder and it should reload.

For the bricked issue, Hik has a procedure for this. Someone else tried it without much success, but if you're bricked, it's worth checking out.

Here are the files and instructions:

http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Technical%20Materials/Special%20Tools/TFTP-Auto-Update/

EDIT: I'll post some pics when I get back from Costco...
Please do. I am also waiting for some Hikvisions, and hopefully I'll also get some cameras from a newly manufactured batch. Let's hope that they no longer have the right side softness issue.

The Swann will be identical to the Hik if the flash takes correctly, unless they've changed something recently.

When I first flashed a Swann to 5.0.0, it was missing items in the white balance area, as well as other stuff. At one point, after both the camera and PC had been turned off, it prompted me to reload the webcomponents file, and everything was OK after that.

Try powering down the camera and restarting the PC. If that doesn't work, delete the webcomponents folder and it should reload.

For the bricked issue, Hik has a procedure for this. Someone else tried it without much success, but if you're bricked, it's worth checking out.

Here are the files and instructions:

http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Technical%20Materials/Special%20Tools/TFTP-Auto-Update/

Kudos to Hikvision for actually putting the instructions for this in a public place.

The procedure described should be pretty safe, as long as the firmware file is correct. These cameras will, on every boot, try to connect to a TFTP-server (this happens from within U-boot, the bootloader), and if it finds a server, it will download the new firmware. If it is bricked so badly that even U-boot has been corrupted, then there is nothing to do.

Hikvision undoubtedly has a way more sane policy on all things related to firmware updates than some other manufacturers (Dahua being among the worst), and for me this is one of the main reasons I'm swapping my Dahuas for Hiks.

One question for those that have Hiks:

When you telnet to the camera, do you get root access rights? I guess not, but it sure would have been nice.

Well, for me, the decision came down to whether I wanted a Swann with Hik firmware (along with the cables and the Cosco liberal refund policy), or a Hik with Hik firmware. So it's Hik Hik hooray (sorry again!) for me and thank you Costco (which, BTW, this is the first ever Costco.com return for me). I shoulda done my homework in the first place, and maybe I coulda rescued the "bricked" camera...that would have been fun, and I really wanted to mess around with that, but I came to the conclusion that even if I turned a Swann into a Hik I would have always felt a little like I was somehow missing out on something even if I wasn't.

Image.thumb.jpg.38cd97aee4f6694642f5c8accd17a026.jpg

Resolution.thumb.jpg.d5c810c33c370d66c3e935efbca01b09.jpg

AC-Network.thumb.jpg.e8af8dc5f9aaeae358db7d3621c7cbcb.jpg

Well, for me, the decision came down to whether I wanted a Swann with Hik firmware (along with the cables and the Cosco liberal refund policy), or a Hik with Hik firmware. So it's Hik Hik hooray (sorry again!) for me and thank you Costco (which, BTW, this is the first ever Costco.com return for me). I shoulda done my homework in the first place, and maybe I coulda rescued the "bricked" camera...that would have been fun, and I really wanted to mess around with that, but I came to the conclusion that even if I turned a Swann into a Hik I would have always felt a little like I was somehow missing out on something even if I wasn't.

Looks like you didn't have the latest webcomponent activex in your broswer.

Goto the dir and delete it, then the camera will prompt you to download it.

To sum this up, then, this is how I figger it: the main problem with upgrading the Swann with Hik firmware is that there is no going back...once a Hik, always a Hik, but once a Swann is enough (geez, don't you guys ever get enough?) (And don't answer that!)

Somehow, I feel better for making that choice, but that's just me.

Outside of the Costco comfort zone, I would imagine if you want to run Hikvision firmware and warranty is important to you, then get Hikvision, but that's just me. Not sure how Swann or Lorex would feel if you send the camera back for a warranty issue and they see someone else's firmware on it, just saying.

I could be behind the times, but I just logged into my SWNHD-820 camera and was prompted to download a new webcomponent (3.0.4.6). I've updated my Swann to the latest Hikvision firmware (V5.0.0 130412).

I'm not that familiar with the old webcomponents options, but it looks like there is access to Smart IR and new options in White Balance. Also, a BLC area - not sure what that is.

I am curious how all that occurred. How did you log into the camera? Where is the software online? What Hik firmware did you flash?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question - I logged directly into the camera using it's IP address and Internet Explorer. IE prompted me to dnwonload a new webcomponents.exe - I believe when I went into Configuration but it may have come up when I just logged into the camera. I had previously updated the firmware to 5.0.whatever.

webcomponents.exe is just the browser plug-in that lets you access the camera directly. Look around the forum (maybe this thread) for the firmware details... or go google swann or lorex 1080p hikvision

I just received the Lorex 6 camera/NVR set from Costco, and am considering the Hik firmware flash to both cameras and NVR. One concern: The Lorex bullets and domes don't seem to be an exact match to the Swann versions, and they currently have v5.0.0 130607 firmware listed (which seems newer than Hik firwmare)

I'd like to have the higher res 4:3 image options, but not sure if it's worth it. Any way I can tell exactly what model of cameras I have here?

I just received the Lorex 6 camera/NVR set from Costco, and am considering the Hik firmware flash to both cameras and NVR. One concern: The Lorex bullets and domes don't seem to be an exact match to the Swann versions, and they currently have v5.0.0 130607 firmware listed (which seems newer than Hik firwmare)

I'd like to have the higher res 4:3 image options, but not sure if it's worth it. Any way I can tell exactly what model of cameras I have here?

i have flashed the Newer Lorex cameras with the hikvision raptor firmware, no problems, you get the 3mp settings available with the hikvision firmware. Will try the dome later tonight when i get the chance

they currently have v5.0.0 130607 firmware listed (which seems newer than Hik firwmare)

Interesting. My new Hiks, dated 06/2013 on the box, are labeled V5.0.0_130412 on the box and in the firmware. The firmware lists Encoding Version V4.0 build 130411.

So, is 5.0.0 130607 the same firmware, with just updates for the vendor info, or is the firmware functionally different? Usually, functional differences would be reflected in a version change, like 5.0.1. Dahua did something similar - changing the date, but not the revision number, for different vendor versions.

So, is 5.0.0 130607 the same firmware, with just updates for the vendor info, or is the firmware functionally different? Usually, functional differences would be reflected in a version change, like 5.0.1. Dahua did something similar - changing the date, but not the revision number, for different vendor versions.

Yeah, I suspect that's it. My work does something similar with routers we buy from OEMs, if we need a feature disabled by default, added, hidden, etc, we'll get custom firmware, sometimes based on older code we've tested and approved. So it's not necessarily better or worse, just different. If anything, reseller specific firmware would tend to be older, as they may be more cautious than the manufacturer in rolling out new features.

I flashed Costco Swann 1080p bullet cams with the latest hikvision 5.1 firmware. All went fine all options worked but now back in the NVR, any "encoding" option I select (Where you tell the NVR video quality, fps etc), errors out saying "setting failed". any ideas?

I just flashed a swann nhd-820 to Hikvision firmware (5.2.0) yesterday using the tftp method. I can confirm that the Hik firmware takes it from 1080p to 3mp resolution. Tried flashing 5.1.6 so all my cams would match, but it would only soft brick my cam. 5.2.0 made it work.