Sorry that my first post here is, really, completely off topic. But this forum seems like the crowd that is most likely to have an answer for me.

I've just purchased a wired ip cam to keep an eye on my backyard, where the kids play, from in the house. Now that I've got the camera in hand, my wife has asked if I can hook up an audio monitor so she can listen in to what the kids are doing, and talk to them if necessary.

So my criteria are these:

-"always on" one-way audio monitor i.e. not push to talk from the back yard

-full duplex

-hooks to ethernet with POE.

-weather resistant housing.

Also it would be nice if it was usable from andoid or PC, but a dedicated intercom might be OK, I guess.

Some cheap IP cams come with this functionality built in, so I figured that surely someone made a little audio box I could mount somewhere. Like a audio-enabled-ip-cam-without-the-cam. But I haven't been able to find one! I figure this should cost around $100 based on the price of the IP cameras, and (video-enabled) baby monitors that do basically what I want. But all I can find is really expensive systems made for apartment buildings and university call boxes, and doorbell systems (which won't do what I want, since they only work once the button is pressed).

Does anyone have a lead on some product that matches my criteria? Worst case is that I move the camera I bought somewhere else and buy an audio-ip-cam to put in its place, so it's not a huge deal, but I thought I'd at least check.

Thanks all,

Eric

That's pretty cool - can I get one without a camera?

Kawboy12R - I like the way you're thinking. But I think the button triggers a sort of alarm/doorbell on the base unit on most of these, in addition to opening the channel for audio.

I believe there are Android intercom apps that you can use and place a cheap Android device at each location. This can be an older used Android phone using WiFi or a cheap tablet.

Dahua has a complete line of video intercoms they showed of at ISC, actually my distributor was there and showed this off. It's IP based, but the reason I've been holding back is I want smartphone integration. Meaning I want to be able to get the doorbell ringing or intercom from my phone and this is in the works. When they get it working, I'll get one to evaluate.

For those that are familiar with Dahua, no it will not work with iDMSS.

Now if it can integrate facial recognition so it displays the name of the visitor at the front door, that would be cool too!

Dahua has a complete line of video intercoms they showed of at ISC, actually my distributor was there and showed this off. It's IP based, but the reason I've been holding back is I want smartphone integration. Meaning I want to be able to get the doorbell ringing or intercom from my phone and this is in the works. When they get it working, I'll get one to evaluate.

For those that are familiar with Dahua, no it will not work with iDMSS.

Now if it can integrate facial recognition so it displays the name of the visitor at the front door, that would be cool too!

Hey mate,

Is there any reason I wouldnt be able to send the signal wirelessly using UBNT Nano-Station M5?