jdoggg1

IR Light Strip for IP Nightvision?

So in doing homework for my setup. I want to thank you all for your help, even if I get frustrated and seem somewhat short with you. (I apologize, but I'm on this forum b/c I can't trust my neighborhood )

Anywho, instead of a static lamp placed in one location with limited coverage in front of my house, would something like this work for IR lighting? http://www.ledlightsworld.com/smd5050150ir-infrared850nm-trichip-flexible-led-strips-30-leds-per-meter-p-243.html

It seems like it would provide even lighting if placed on the gutters, facing outwards of the house. Thoughts?

So in doing homework for my setup. I want to thank you all for your help, even if I get frustrated and seem somewhat short with you. (I apologize, but I'm on this forum b/c I can't trust my neighborhood )

Anywho, instead of a static lamp placed in one location with limited coverage in front of my house, would something like this work for IR lighting? http://www.ledlightsworld.com/smd5050150ir-infrared850nm-trichip-flexible-led-strips-30-leds-per-meter-p-243.html

It seems like it would provide even lighting if placed on the gutters, facing outwards of the house. Thoughts?

You would need to know the amount of light it puts out (as it translates into range) as well as the vertical field of view (FOV) to know if it would light a wide enough area to be mounted up high and provide any useable illumination for stuff that's down at ground level.

All in all, I'd be skeptical it would work, but you could always buy some, run it in your basement or something and experiment.

If you want a good illuminator with a really wide field of view, that can throw useable IR light out 50+ feet, get an Axton illuminator, just pick the one that has the specs that match your location.

I looked at a solution like this at one point, but didn't test it.

They have pretty decent specs on their page, but unfortunately don't spec the IR output power, which is what counts. Input power and output power aren't reliably related on LEDs.

Assuming a decent IR power level, what this would be good for is illuminating your walkway or house front evenly, without the hot spot (or long range throw) of an LED illuminator. You'd be trading off even, smooth lighting against the range and narrow FOV of a traditional illuminator.

Best bet would be to get a strip and try it out.

I think this is the route I'm going to try. Might as well be a guinea pig for science

I think this is the route I'm going to try. Might as well be a guinea pig for science

Make sure to post a review.

I've seen those strips before. Despite what the title says, it is not Infrared. It is actually LED and you will be able

to see the light with your eyes. These are not meant to project light or light up an outdoor area. They are meant to

decorate things or light up small areas like kitchen counter tops,closets, automotive parts, etc. I personally would

not suggest this if your trying to help out an IP camera for outdoor night vision.

I've seen those strips before. Despite what the title says, it is not Infrared. It is actually LED and you will be able

to see the light with your eyes. These are not meant to project light or light up an outdoor area. They are meant to

decorate things or light up small areas like kitchen counter tops,closets, automotive parts, etc. I personally would

not suggest this if your trying to help out an IP camera for outdoor night vision.

I'm not doubting your claim, but I would believe it more if they just put "IR LEDs" or "Infrared LEDs", but they did put the actual wavelength.

Also, based on the power usage (3amp @ 12v) they're using quite a bit of juice for LEDs.

http://www.ledlightsworld.com/datasheet/Specification-of-Flexible-LED-Strip-www.ledlightsworld.com.pdf

If the output from the visible spectrum is as bright as stated on the spec sheet, if the IR version were half as bright (or at least the IR equivalent) would it not serve as a decent short distance (15-20ft) diffused light source?

I like the idea, and 850nm is an IR wavelength. All depends on how much light it puts out but I have a similar strip I use for mood lighting and they are pretty bright, but not sure they would cast a light further than a few feet.

So 12v x 3A = 36w/150 LEDs. Seems like a decent amount, in theory 10x an incandescent bulb, or 360W incandescent equivalent.

I looked around for user feedback on these and didn't find any yet, but it turns out these are used for homebrew touch-panel displays. One of the vendors published a handy guide that talks about thinks like connectors and other details. It's not very applicable to surveillance lighting, but is worth reading for anyone thinking about these lights:

http://cias.rit.edu/~nmtp/179773/mousetrap/infrared_led_guide.pdf

I'm going to bookmark this thread, I love the idea of using this...

imagine if you could find some that were 940nm(not visible) not 840nm (visible)

just run as many strips as you need the entire way around what you wish to cover.... beauuuutiful

please post pics of how it runs!

http://www.ledlightinghut.com/940nm-smd5050-flexible-led-strip.html

940nm... you won't even know it's on.

http://www.lightingnext.com/940nm-infrared-led-strip-light.html

these guys even do outdoor rated, so just glue/strap it somewhere, setup a day/night timer/sensor and job done, 6amp is a lot of power usage though.... wonder what it's dispertion pattern is like & what range you'd get on cheap camera's that are only 1/3 in sensor....

even cheaper: http://www.okledlights.com/smd3528-flexible-infrared-940nm-wavelengthled-strip-with-150-leds-ribbon-light-ropeykf3528in940150x_p348.html

With 940nm you get about have the effective range as 850. 6A seems like a lot but at 12V it is 72W but when you plug it into a 120VAC, that's 7.2W, about the same power as night light.

300 LEDs over a 5m length, about 16 1/2'. Is the idea to put a strip along say the eave of your house with the camera in the middle? The LEDs have a 120 degree spread, that's a lot of light not focused where you camera is focused, which may be 60-75 degrees. I wonder if they have ones that have a narrower beam, maybe 90 degrees at most.

I'll ask work if they can buy a reel for me to play with

the power supply and triggering system will be a pain over the PoE though

MR2, you'll probably have the ability to get moving on this faster than I can, but my suggestion would be to have these running off of a timer since it'll be cheaper and easier to do than photo-sensitive. I found a couple places that sell these with a black backing to blend better in dark textured areas, so keep that in mind too.

Would your work actually go for it?

well, the $200 for the cable + timer + install is far better than the $450 ish PoE IR we have (that's irritating on a number of levels)

my boss is not back till next week so I'll try it then....

might even try for some 840nm and 940nm so I can do a more accurate comparo, I think this stuff might be the ideal thing for me to protect my home (when I get one) as I can run it along the front fence and down the sides of the fence no worries, even better it's 12v so I could run a mini solar setup to power it all.

might even try for some 840nm and 940nm so I can do a more accurate comparo, I think this stuff might be the ideal thing for me to protect my home (when I get one) as I can run it along the front fence and down the sides of the fence no worries, even better it's 12v so I could run a mini solar setup to power it all.

Thus the reason I started looking into this

Something to consider is the need to keep these out of the line of site from the cameras. With a 120* dispersion rating, if the camera has direct viewing it may be blinded by the LEDs in contrast to the desired viewing area...?

With a 120* dispersion rating, if the camera has direct viewing it may be blinded by the LEDs in contrast to the desired viewing area...?

you're going to laugh... check this link: http://www.wikihow.com/Blind-a-Surveillance-Camera.

we have quite a few factories, so I'm going to shove it up on part of the roof or a wall whatever and see how it goes when we shut down the lights

I was thinking that, just make a suit of these and nobody would notice but every surveillance camera at night would see this glowing man, LOL.

Might finally get these ordered next week!

Maxed out the company Credit card... OOps

Might finally get these ordered next week!

Maxed out the company Credit card... OOps

I'm very excited - I was going to be the guinea pig, but thank you for taking a crack at it first!

Placed Order ended up being $350, I bought...

1 x 5m 940nm strip IP67

1 x 5m 850nm strip IP67

2 x 100w IP65 or whatever Power supplies

I looked at these guys: http://www.infraredintelligence.com.au/minibar.htm however it's $199 for a 1m double strip.

what I'm going to do is mount each strip on a 5m long bit of timber, then stuff around with mounting them on a wall of one of our yards.

there will be lots of Pictures